Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Newb from Texas

Discussion on tenkara rods

Newb from Texas

Postby SgtGrok » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 am

Hey Everyone,

As stated above i'm a newb. I actually have about 15 years fly fishing experience. About 12 years ago I had kids and my fishing addiction sort of ended..in time I sold gear and slowly separated from the sport. For many years I have had a big hole in me, well that's the best I can explain it. I have come to the conclusion that maybe it can be refilled with fishing. I went from spending every day on the water to years without wetting a line. Then by coincidence or fate, I literally just discovered Tenkara. It seems to fit the bill perfect, it lets me back in the game with minimal gear and minimal cost. To be honest I've sort of fallen into the whole minimalist lifestyle a bit..so it's a perfect fit.

So after this wordy intro, my question is.. I live in North Texas these days so to be honest, I'll be after panfish and bass in streams and ponds most of the time. I'll hit trout up when I visit home back up north. Mainly brookies and browns. I'm a fan of quality and need a rod that will cover the most general use cases, species and environs..so really nice generic..lol.. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
Tim
SgtGrok

Re: Newb from Texas

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:56 am

Hi and welcome.

Three of our rod models would be a good fit for you. Look at the Amago (our big fish rod), our Ito, or Sato.

If you are mostly going after bass and warm water species, look at the Amago. It is long, 13'6", and beefy, so it has good backbone for a tad larger fish than what tenkara is designed for. We have many customers in Non Trout areas that love the Amago.

The Ito and Sato would be choice #2. The Ito is also long (zoom model that can be used 13' or 14'7") so has nice leverage for decent size trout or some bass too. It is great for longer rivers that you need more casting distance.

The Sato is kind of of Jack of All Trades rod. Is our best selling rod and adjustable... from 10.5' up to almost 13' long. So nice for smaller creeks and streams in the 10.5' mode yet can be fully opened and becomes a nice medium to larger waters rod. My personal best on the Sato was a 22" fat stocker rainbow. So they have some nice backbone too.

Hope that helps.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: Newb from Texas

Postby Adam Trahan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:33 pm

TJ has given you some great advice.

I come to tenkara after many years as a western fly fisherman fishing streams, river, lake and sea. Now I just fish tenkara.

I have used the Ito for my best day of fishing for big fish in a small stream in Colorado. I caught a lot of fish as long as by elbow to my hand and a couple to my fingertips. It's an amazing rod and the oldest in my quiver. It's capable of catching a 4" trout and having fun doing it up to some big bruiser trout.

The Amago, I do not have too much experience with but that will change soon. I've rigged a fly line type line for dead drift nymphing with an indicator and a couple of length level lines for fishing tenkara techniques on a big river, the Colorado. If I ever choose to warm water fish, this is the rod I will choose...

But, more importantly, welcome to the forum. Hope you have fun transitioning to tenkara. Please come back and share your experiences and what you learned.
Adam Trahan

Return to Tenkara Rods