Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Iwana, and rod info

Discussion on tenkara rods

Iwana, and rod info

Postby IdleChater » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Would the Iwana rod have the poop to handle fish such as you'd find on the South Platte around Deckers, Cheeseman or the Dream Stream stretch but still be suitable for small streams?

I'd also appreciate a pointer or two to explanations of rating systems (like 6:4) or penny-weighting?
IdleChater

Re: Iwana, and rod info

Postby Vince_villavivencio » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:15 pm

IdleChater,

I can help with the first question. I fish the San Juan River in NM, which has fish averaging from 16 - 18 inches. The Iwana will handle these fish. However, the Tenkara USA Amago handles these fish a lot better. I have been able to land trout up to 21 inches with the Amago. Also, the Amago will help you land bigger fish quicker than the Iwana (avoid playing fish to exhaustion and reduce Lactic acid buildup).

Thanks

Vinny
Vince_villavivencio

Re: Iwana, and rod info

Postby Rob Ruff » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:58 am

If I'm not mistaken, the Iwana has a 23 penny rating. I've used mine while in Montana last Sept fishing small streams that flowed into larger rivers like the Gallatin and Madison. Worked great. I don't think it would have a problem with larger fish say up to 20 inches, but, you'll be in for a long fight and if you are in a strong current then be ready to follow the fish.

Follow link for penny rating explanation:

http://tetontenkara.blogspot.com/p/this-is-article-origianlly-written-for.html?m=0
Rob Ruff

Return to Tenkara Rods