Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Is the Rhodo *too* specialized?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Is the Rhodo *too* specialized?

Postby hayes » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi,
I know this kind of question has been asked before, and I've read all the posts about it...but I still am having trouble deciding between the Sato & the Rhodo. I really love the simplicity of having just one rod, and at first I was pretty certain the Rhodo was the one, but after reading so much about the two I'm having doubts.

I live in Southern California, and I would say the majority of fishing I do is in relatively tight areas; the Padres forest, Sequoia National forest, and places like that. If I'm using a spinning rod or fly fishing rod, I try to go as small as possible, as there is often a decent amount of overgrowth in these places, and pretty small, shallow bodies of water.
However, I also do a some backpacking to the lakes around the eastern Sierra Nevadas, where there is more open space and obviously larger bodies of water. It would be cool to be able to fish Tenkara those places as well.

Basically, there is no doubt in my mind that the Rhodo would be perfect for the small stream fishing that I do, but I guess I'm a little concerned at its' longest it may still not be adequate for larger bodies. Perhaps this shouldn't be a concern? If anyone has any experience using the Rhodo in large-ish (but obviously not huge) bodies of water, I'd be curious to hear about it.

Conversely, I have some concern that even at its' shortest length, the Sato would be too large for the small areas (which can get very small).

I know the Sato is the frontrunner in the all-around *versatility* department, but I'm not sure that's true in my case. Perhaps I'm overthinking this though...
hayes

Re: Is the Rhodo *too* specialized?

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:05 am

Hi, the Sato is indeed our best seller as it covers 3 very nice lengths, with one being 10'6" for the smaller tighter areas and 12'9" for the more open spaces. Also remember one can always choke up on the handle, which is almost 1' long, to go up and down that foot, making the rod a tad shorter in some instances. You can even hold up further on the shaft of the handle to make the rod cast shorter. Just remember once hookset on a fish, move the hand back down to the cork handle for landing the fish.

I use both the Sato and Rhodo as they are a great tag team for all my Northern California Sierra fishing. The Rhodo comes out on the smaller creek work and the Sato for most all else. The Rhodo is no slouch though as it opens to 10'6" fully opened and if you need more reach for casting, then use a longer line. We have an almost 15' Nylon Tapered Line or you can use Level Line cut to your needs.

So the Rhodo may still be a fine match for you. Just get familiar with casting a longer line so when the time comes, you can cast in places you need more distance.

I used my Sato 80% of the time and Rhodo 20%. Once you get familiar with how a tenkara rod casts, you can use it well in tight spaces. Slingshot casts nice for those times or us a shorter level line, say 6', plus 2' of 5X tippet, so total line is a little shorter than the rod in use. This works great for tight spots.

TJ

Regards
TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby hayes » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:55 am

Thanks, TJ. That is very helpful!
hayes

Postby Karl Klavon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 am

Hi hayes, I do not believe the Rhodo is at all too specialized. As a matter of fact, I believe you may very well come to wish that you had an even shorter rod on some of the small Sequoia creeks. I live in Fresno and fish small sierra streams and high mountain lakes a lot, a little farther north of where you mentioned fishing.

And you will probably eventually come to want a rod longer than the Rhodo for dedicated lake T-fishing, even though the timbered right up to the water lakes are much easier to fish with a shorter rod, so the Soto is also a good fit there as well.

If you are like most of us, you will eventually end up with a number of rods suited for specific fishing applications, which you will enjoy fishing with a lot more than a make-do compromise rod. The cost isn't really all that much for T-gear. You could buy 5 or 6 T-rods for what the cost of one top of the line western fly rod would be, which is approaching a 1,000 dollars or more now. Every body has to start somewhere, so buy a T-rod without worrying about it too much about it having to do everything well and see where your Tenkara adventures will lead you. One thing is for sure - you are in for a whole lot of fun and satisfaction no matter which rod you choose to buy....Karl.
Karl Klavon

Postby tsegelke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:58 am

The Rhodo or the Sato work great for me in both those areas. It is a matter of your comfort.

I almost never find myself shortening the Sato, and almost alway work with the Rhodo at the full length. I typically fish the Ito at full length so, I am very confident and practiced with a very long rod. I have even cast a 20' line with the Rhodo. I was very impressed. So it can handle the Alpine lakes.

By changing the grip and willingness to experiment with casts, it is rare that I wish the rod was shorter.

My experience it is more about the size of the fish, not the river that determine which rod I use. I often target the pockets that are not much bigger or wider than a dinner plate. With so much cover the fish are usually very aggressive in taking the fly.

You can't go wrong with packing either one. Enjoy.
tsegelke

Return to Tenkara Rods