Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

What should be my first tenkara rod?

Discussion on tenkara rods

What should be my first tenkara rod?

Postby msmith0612 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:30 pm

I'm intrigued. I like to have a complete outfit in one hand and I would love to fish the Driftless Area streams in Wisconsin in where backcasting can be tight and mending is tough in the narrow riffles.

But most of my current fishing is on small ponds in Ohio for bluegill and bass (up to 5 lb).

I gather from other posts that a 5 lb fish is not a problem for a Tenkara rod - but my question is which one would be a good starter for me? I saw that longer is better for bigger fish?

Please excuse the newbie question, but I want to start off on the right foot.

Right now I have about 7 traditional rods; this will be my first Tenkara.

I like the three lengths in one rod option. The local Orvis store has the Sato for sale. But I see other options.

Advice?

Thanks!

Mike Smith
msmith0612

Re: What should be my first tenkara rod?

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi Mike,

I work for Tenkara USA. Welcome to the forum. Our two best recommendations from our product line is the Iwana and the Sato. Both are great all around choices for tenkara and should be a good start for you. The Sato is a little more versatile with the multiple settings, but the Iwana is a very solid choice.

If you think 5 poind bass will be a regular occuarance, you may want to consider the Amago. If it's mostly pan fish and normal size trout, we'd reccomend the Iwana or Sato. We reccomend you choose the rod for the fishing you do most.

Hope this helps.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Re: What should be my first tenkara rod?

Postby troutrageous1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:48 pm

If you're still out there, curious what you ended up purchasing...and how it worked out?
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Return to Tenkara Rods