The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Wetfly Tenkara Package?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Wetfly Tenkara Package?

Postby quitecontrary » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:24 am

Hi all,

New to tenkara and this forum!

I caught my first fish on a fly with a borrowed 12' Tenkara rod, and was hooked (har har)! Now I am looking into buying a rod for myself, and curious about the 13' rods for a longer reach. In my searching, I found a tenkara package by Wetfly (http://www.wetfly.net/bacoteseflyr.html)-- is this a tenkara-style rod made by Wetfly, or is it a rod made by TenkaraUSA and sold in a bundle with some other gear from Wetfly?

Also, my typical fishing habitat is small streams in the high Sierra, so I am worried about going for a longer rod since I'm often working in spaces crowded by willows. Though getting my line tangled could just have something to do with my beginner's technique... :roll: I also fish alpine lakes, so maybe the longer rod would be beneficial in those situations...

Any advice?

I hope this is an acceptable thread for the forum-- apologies if not! I'd like to support this company and just want to be sure about what I'm buying.

Thank you!
quitecontrary

Re: Wetfly Tenkara Package?

Postby troutrageous1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:32 pm

I could certainly be corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that rod is a Tenkara USA rod.

A lot of different companies are now making tenkara rods, and more than competent ones at that, but IMO you'd be hard pressed to find a better community and support network than Tenkara USA.

As for your rod question, have you considered one of the Tenkara USA zoom rods? While not identical to the Wetfly in package price, the TUSA Sato rod package gives you a rod you can fish at 11', 12', & 13' (rounding up a touch on each), and a bunch of other goodies to get started.

(TUSA guys, I'll PM you my address to send me commission). :D

Just my two cents as happy customer since 2009.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Re: Wetfly Tenkara Package?

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:27 am

Hi quitecontrary, no that wetfly package is not one of ours.

Our rods always have the Tenkara USA logo on them.

If you have any questions about our line of rods that all include a lifetime warranty, let us know.

Like Troutrageous has stated, we have some nice kits. The Sato is our most popular right now as it includes the new Sato we introduced late last year. The zooming feature is a nice feature to have and makes the Sato most useful in many waters.

At the same time the Iwana set is also a great set and includes the famous Iwana, a rod we have sold for years and years. Many swear by the Iwana.

Ask away if you have any questions.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Return to Tenkara Rods