The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Rod Length

Discussion on tenkara rods

Rod Lengths: Would you buy a 6' long Tenkara rod...?

Yes
8%
No
92%
Maybe
No votes

Total votes : 12

Rod Length

Postby hexclimber » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:33 am

I'm still waiting for a shorty... 6' or so would be great for the uber-tight streams we have in this area...
hexclimber

Re: Rod Length

Postby jd_smith » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:47 am

It's a no from me. I have no need for a 6 footer and I don't see any advantages having one for the areas I fish. Ten feet is about as short of a rod that I currently need for my fishing locations.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby adventureR » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:48 am

Why not make one from existing sections? Make a handle plug and wooden or foam handle.
Or buy a fixed line rod that's already available @ the length you desire?

Welcome to the forum too!

Oh yeah capital NO for me!
I like the long rod for line off the water.
At some point catching the fish by hand takes the place of a rod.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby narcodog » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:48 am

I really don't one shorter than 10 ft. My 11ft Iwana works 95% of the time on small streams.
narcodog

Postby Nagasaurus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Welcome hexclimber. Shorter rods do have their place but here's what I've observed when this question is asked.

As Daniel has explained before when this comes up Tenkara USA focuses on rods that fall within a defined range to fit a particular fishing technique. I'd be willing to bet you'll never see a "shorty" fixed-line rod from them as the reduced length also reduces your effectiveness with those techniques (note I said reduces, not that you can't do many of the same things with a shorter rod).

Before I knew about other types of fixed-line telescopic rods that were readily available I made my own 6' 'brush rod' by purchasing another brand's cheap tenkara rod, chopped up the handle to salvage the end cap assembly, and then built a new handle a few sections higher on the rod. Had I known about the other fixed-line options out there I would have purchased one of them and saved myself the trouble. I use it once a year on an annual trip to tiny stream where even a 6' rod can be too long at times.

So my answer is sure, I'd probably buy a shorter rod some day, but I won't be buying it from Tenkara USA. Not because it wouldn't be a good product if they chose to carry one--it just isn't a product they want to sell. And I respect them for that as they would likely sell a bunch of them but it isn't always about the number of sales....
Nagasaurus

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:58 pm

As Nagasaurus noted, I don't see us making a 6' rod. All of the benefits of a tenkara rod kind of get lost in a rod that short.

I have been amazed at how well I can do in fairly dense area with an Ito, our longest rod. Just takes a much shorter line and closing a couple segments and I can still get in there and catch fish.

But... that being said... keep your eyes open for the new rods coming from us. One of them will be a great fit for that 6' rod you hope for. No the rod is not 6' but you will soon see that one of the models will become the ultimate small creek rod. I know my local creeks will see tons of action from it come 2014.

Also remember this is a telescoping rod... just close a segment or two, and you have a great short rod for those times you need it.

But again... soon we have a rod that will, well, blow you away. It blew me away and everyone else that has used them say they are game changers in tenkara.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Return to Tenkara Rods