The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Cuttin tube

Discussion on tenkara rods

Cuttin tube

Postby narcodog » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:03 am

I have been thinking about cutting the tube of my 11ft Iwana down for a more compact fit. I don't want to ruin the tube, I want to know how remove the end cap. I also know I can stuff in the tube I don't want to that either.
narcodog

Re: Cuttin tube

Postby Nagasaurus » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:26 pm

If the cap is attached with epoxy or glue and not mechanical (crimped metal for example) then heating the end cap may soften the glue or epoxy enough to remove it.

A hair dryer can work for this but be sure to use heavy gloves to protect your hands from being burned. The heat may also discolor the paint on the tube so keep an eye. Near-boiling water can also be used instead of a hair dryer but again this may ruin the painted finish.
Nagasaurus

Postby tsegelke » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:37 pm

After you get the cap out, you should be able to use a circular pipe cutter (used for cutting copper pipe) to cut it to the length you desire.
tsegelke

Postby Nagasaurus » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Well, curiosity got the best of me so I grabbed a Tenkara USA rod tube and my heat gun. Since the cap itself has rubber components I was sure to unscrew and remove it first.

I set the heat gun to low and slowly rotated the tube in front of it and was careful to apply heat to the metal end piece only. After the first try I could see a bit of glue residue flake away at the end of the tube so I knew I was on the right track. Took a few more spins applying heat a bit more aggressively and the end slid right off. I was using a leather glove to do the pulling to protect my hand (and the finish of the end piece).

The finish on the tube and end piece appeared to be unaffected.

Since the tube is some sort of carbon fiber I'm not sure if a pipe cutter will work but haven't tried it. Ideally a Dremel type rotary tool with a cutting disc would be used to minimize fraying which is what I've used on rod blanks before. A piece of masking tape wrapped on the tube makes for a great cutting guide.

I happen to have done a little rod building so have plenty of epoxy options on hand to reattach the end piece. If you use epoxy I would recommend at least a 10 minute or longer curing epoxy (5 minute gives you less room for error and adjustment) and use very little of it. Have some rubbing alcohol and paper towels on hand to wipe any excess that oozes out and whatever gets onto your fingers. Tape the end down while the epoxy is curing so it doesn't shift.
Attachments
rod_tube_cap.JPG
Tenkara USA rod tube after heating the end cap and removing it
Nagasaurus

Postby narcodog » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:26 am

Nagasaurus wrote:Well, curiosity got the best of me so I grabbed a Tenkara USA rod tube and my heat gun. Since the cap itself has rubber components I was sure to unscrew and remove it first.

I set the heat gun to low and slowly rotated the tube in front of it and was careful to apply heat to the metal end piece only. After the first try I could see a bit of glue residue flake away at the end of the tube so I knew I was on the right track. Took a few more spins applying heat a bit more aggressively and the end slid right off. I was using a leather glove to do the pulling to protect my hand (and the finish of the end piece).

The finish on the tube and end piece appeared to be unaffected.

Since the tube is some sort of carbon fiber I'm not sure if a pipe cutter will work but haven't tried it. Ideally a Dremel type rotary tool with a cutting disc would be used to minimize fraying which is what I've used on rod blanks before. A piece of masking tape wrapped on the tube makes for a great cutting guide.

I happen to have done a little rod building so have plenty of epoxy options on hand to reattach the end piece. If you use epoxy I would recommend at least a 10 minute or longer curing epoxy (5 minute gives you less room for error and adjustment) and use very little of it. Have some rubbing alcohol and paper towels on hand to wipe any excess that oozes out and whatever gets onto your fingers. Tape the end down while the epoxy is curing so it doesn't shift.

Thanks, you have answered my question on the removal. The cutting should no be a problem. In all likely hood I'll use Titebond III.
narcodog

Postby mbolson » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:32 am

Go to the Golf equipment store and get a small packet of golf club epoxy long set. It is designed to hold metal to metal (and will soften when heat applied).
Iwana 12'
Ito
Rhodo
Sato
Yamame

"When given the choice of 'A' or 'B' always pick 'C'"
mbolson

Return to Tenkara Rods