The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

5.5 rod

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: 5.5 rod

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:44 am

You guys have a great point, the softer action rods do have more cushion for the tippet. But just to give a rod to rod comparison, I find it easier to steer a large and hot wild fish to hand with my Amago than my Ayu. I've found this to be especially true (for me) on large, brawling rivers like the Madison where I might need to turn a fish out of heavier current. A softer rod might actually do a nicer job on a smaller, more "tenkara friendly" stream. There's no doubt that larger fish can be landed on a soft tenkara rod, it's been done too many times at this point.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby Stephen McGowen » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:31 pm

John...I think we mean tenkara rods used in tenkara fish/river situations. In your case, all bets are off and you are skating on the edge. Fun though, isn't it?
Stephen McGowen

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Stephen, I basically agree. There are some large waters with large fish where tenkara seems pretty at home to me, though. The Madison river near Reynolds Pass or $3 Bridge is a good example. It's basically a big mountain stream with a lot of pocket water. Casts don't need to be very long, but a tenkara rods ability to get drifts over conflicting currents is a great bonus. There will be fish that head for the heavy current and get off, but I lost my share of those fish using conventional fly tackle.

I've fished many stretches of big water, usually with a name like "such and such" canyon where I think tenkara is wonderful. On large, flat rivers like the Missouri or the Henry's Fork, I don't think it's so ideal. I actually find it much harder to land large fish on these types of waters (on any tackle) because they generally make long runs away from the angler. It's harder for me to deal with a large fish that decides to run straight away from me as hard as they can. Pocket water fish, even large ones, seem to pop from pocket to pocket and give me more time to adjust. Not always, just most of the time. Other peoples experience may be different.

And yes, it is fun. :)
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods