The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

New rod handle material

Discussion on tenkara rods

New rod handle material

Postby Jason Klass » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:12 am

So I was in a local fly shop no too long ago and got to play around with the new Redington Vapen fly rods that have a red polymer grip:

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/vapen-red/

I REALLY liked the feel of this grip and would like to see it or something similar on a tenkara rod one day. It's very comfortable and seems like it would be a lot more durable than cork.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Re: New rod handle material

Postby Skico » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:44 pm

plus it has more sensitivity than cork which redington discovered by accident with the material. they where focused on comfort with that design but got a bit more. I thought it was going to be a flop until I held it in hand. I really like feel of it.
Skico

Postby johnnyv145 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:59 pm

It sounds like the grip on the Reddington rods is made by Winn Grips. It looks and feels like the golf club grip material that WinnGrips manufactures.
Like Tenkara Guides LLC on Facebook
johnnyv145

Postby troutrageous1 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Won't be the last rod you'll see those Winn grips on. Not only does the Redington Vapen Red have it, but the new CastAway Invicta casting rods have it too. Personally, I didn't care for the grip when I test drove the Vapen Red...found it a touch "squishy" and made me overcompensate by gripping a bit too hard when casting heavy flies more than 30 or so feet (think saltwater streamers on an 8-wt).

It might be better lend itself well to an ultralight tenkara rod.
Heck, I'm all for anything outside the box.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby Bobc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:50 pm

I would imagine that a golf grip could probably be installed on any rod.
Bobc

Return to Tenkara Rods