The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

ITO rod question

Discussion on tenkara rods

ITO rod question

Postby Skico » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:10 pm

Since my girlfriend took over my IWANA rod I need another rod.I was over at mcguckins and I really liked the feel of the ITO. Is the ITO made with different carbon than the other tenkara usa rods. It has the same flex rating as the Iwana and Amago but a very different feel. Compared to the Amago at the 13ft mark it feels much softer and more lively. Anyone Own this rod. Since i have access to the Iwana I think the ITO wil be my next choice.
Skico

Re: ITO rod question

Postby tsegelke » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:00 am

I own all three. They are all made with the same materials as far as I can tell. The difference is the length of rod and size of backbone. The larger the back bone, Amago is made for the Tenkara big fish, so is the strongest fish fighting rod, but does not feel as soft. The Ito feels softer since it's backbone is not as strong as the Amago, and it is significantly longer. The Ito is a strong enough rod to handle some very nice size fish though.

I hope this helps.
tsegelke

Postby Nagasaurus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:25 am

Greetings Skico. That is great you have the opportunity to try the Ito before making a decision. As you found it has a softer feel and the action is magnified when extended to the full length (you're feeling that length pull on your arm/wrist a bit more since it has more leverage). Not everyone likes the action of the Ito so you are fortunate to be able to give it a test drive.

I really like mine and I used it 95% of the time this summer. About the only time my other rods were used this season is when I had a second person along who needed a loaner. The extra reach is why it is my go-to rod and using other models now seems weird since I can't reach out as far.

So if your home waters allow for the rod to be fished at the full length most of the time then it would be a great addition to the Iwana you already have. In my opinion there really is no reason to buy an Ito if you aren't fishing it most of the time at the full length.

My one criticism of the Ito is that it could be made a bit lighter but by all means it is not "heavy". I also rarely use the un-zoom feature so my dream Tenkara USA model would be a 3oz 4.5m rod.
Nagasaurus

Postby Skico » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks for the info. I bought the Ito and took it up to the Poudre river to break it in. 7 browns landed with it above rustic. Much softer than the Iwana and took a little time to get comfortable with it. Elbow tucked in and more wrist than arm was the ticket for casting in 14.7 mode. Heading up to wyoming and Montana for a week mid Oct for a full workout with it.
Skico

Postby tsegelke » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm glad the Ito is working for you. I hope you have a great trip.
tsegelke

Return to Tenkara Rods