The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Yvon Chouinard tenkara rod

Discussion on tenkara rods

Yvon Chouinard tenkara rod

Postby Bobc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:06 am

I watched the video (on this site) of Yvon fishing, anyone know what type of rod and line he is using?
Bobc

Re: Yvon Chouinard tenkara rod

Postby johnnyv145 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:03 am

It's most likely the old Japanese fiberglass tenkara rod he has had since the early-mid 1980's.

The story he told me was that it was a gift from a friend.

Apparrently it sat in the back of his closet for years forgotten. One day he rediscovered it made his own line out of 00wt floating PVC fly line and went fishing to figure out how it worked.

Thats the story as best as I remember it. Daniel has spent a lot more time talking with Yvon. Hopefully he will jump in and fill in the details.

I did have a chance to make a few casts with the rod and his line. It was a bit different from modern carbon fiber tenkara rods, but very easy to cast and very smooth casting action.

John
Tenkara Guides LLC
Like Tenkara Guides LLC on Facebook
johnnyv145

Postby Bobc » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:15 pm

I found out what the rod is, probably not a glass rod as mentioned. Really like that he grips the rod same as I do, and I cast like he does.
Bobc

Postby jd_smith » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:19 pm

Bobc wrote:I found out what the rod is, probably not a glass rod as mentioned. Really like that he grips the rod same as I do, and I cast like he does.

Kind of vague Bobc. This leaves me with more questions than answers. Could your share with us what did you find out? Is this the video you watched? http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/?p=3549
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby Bobc » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:46 pm

The rod he is using in this video is probably a TFO since Craig Mathews is the owner of the Blue Ribbon fly shop and they sell these rods. Yvon also uses wet flies and references Dave Hughes book on wet flies.
Bobc

Postby jd_smith » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Bobc wrote:The rod he is using in this video is probably a TFO since Craig Mathews is the owner of the Blue Ribbon fly shop and they sell these rods. Yvon also uses wet flies and references Dave Hughes book on wet flies.

Ah that makes sense. I did see something about that shop now carrying the Cutthroat. Thanks Bobc.

Dave Hughes... Good book by the way ;). Also check out "handbook of Hatches". Well...that is if you enjoy that style. Not everybody does so maybe a poor reference on my part.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby Bobc » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:15 am

Also check out "handbook of Hatches". Well...that is if you enjoy that style. Not everybody does so maybe a poor reference on my part.
No, good info, thanks I will check it out. I am a fisherman who enjoys tenkara for the simplicity, not the "mystic". I was fly fishing long before "that movie" came out.
Bobc

Postby erik.ostrander » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 am

Bobc,
Daniel wrote:The rod Yvon is using is a rod he got as a gift from a friend of his from Japan about 20 years ago. It seemed to me to have been produced by a craftsman, not one of the larger companies, and DR. Ishigaki, who saw the rod, was not familiar with it himself.

The rod does have a nice action as johnyv145 mentioned.
erik.ostrander

Return to Tenkara Rods