The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Ayu 2 an in between?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Ayu 2 an in between?

Postby hannaar85 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Do you guys out there think the Ayu 2 could be an in between rod that falls from an Amago to the Iwana? Not just in terms of "feel" but also in the size of fish it could handle? I'm interested to see the replies of those who own some and from from TUSA employees!

I love both my Iwana and Ayu 2, never felt an Amago, though I might get one some day in the far future whe I return my home state of Alabama where large bass are very common.

Soon I will be going up to some waters here in colorado where 30" browns and rainbows are common. Would love to handle one of those hogs on my Ayu 2!
hannaar85

Re: Ayu 2 an in between?

Postby tpalka » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Since no one else replied, I will. I had both the original Ayu and the Amago. Liked both rods, though for different things. Now I fish almost exclusively with the Ayu 2, because yes it is the "in between" rod :)

A 30" trout would be a big challenge with any rod, including the Amago, and even more so with any of the other rods...

Cheers,

tom.
tpalka

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi hannaar85, thanks for the question.

I believe your assessment that the Ayu II is between the Iwana and Amago is fairly accurate.

The Ayu II has some decent backbone to it but if your goal is 30" trout, please keep in mind tenkara rods are not designed for such large fish.

This does not mean it can't be done but to date the largest trout I know of landed on an Amago which is indeed considered our big fish rod was a 27 3/4" trout from a customer in Utah. He posted this on Facebook last year and he often hauled in large trout.

Still, keep in mind even the Amago was designed for trout up to about the lower 20" range in size but has proven after many years to successfully land larger trout for those that practiced hard to learn how to do such things.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby hannaar85 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Thank you both for the replies. I might consider giving it a try if I sight fish for some that in the 20" range. The 30" I might I have let slip. Although, if I do for some reason hook into one it would be one hard fight. I need to head over to mcgukins in boulder to buy a other Ayu 2 since the store only has a few left. Really enjoying this rod. Although......the Ito certainly looks nice too.
hannaar85

Return to Tenkara Rods