The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

snapped an Amago

Discussion on tenkara rods

snapped an Amago

Postby mikeyfranco » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:38 am

Well, I just did it. Snapped my rod while landing an 18"+ Snake river cutthroat. I know that is pushing the limits of what this rod can handle but does anyone have advice on technique? I had no intention of playing to fish that big but it happened... I ended up throwing the broken rod on the river bank and grabbing the line by hand. Luckily, the line dropped right in front of me and I could release the fish quickly without much stress(on the fish...). Any thoughts? Is there a better rod choice for larger trout than the Amago? Thankfully I had a spare tip section with me.

Mikey Franco
mikeyfranco

Re: snapped an Amago

Postby hannaar85 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:46 am

There are rods designed with handling larger fish in mind. However, TUSA has a phenominal warranty process so you should be able to get this replaced quicky. I suggest taking a look at their other rods that were made for larger fish such as the Yamame. Also, view some youtube videos on landing large fish with tenkara, there is a technique. Thats awesome you still beastly landed him with line in hand!
hannaar85

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:55 am

Sorry to hear your Amago broke but sounds like you broke a tipset and had a replacement so that is good.

If a larger segment past the 3 piece tipset ever breaks, let us know and we can assist. Of course replacement tipsets can also be acquired as you know.

There have been many hefty fish landed on Amago so it is possible. Both the Amago and Yamame would be considered our big fish rods. I believe the largest trout I have heard caught on an Amago was a 27 and 3/4" Trout from a customer in Utah. He posted some pictures on his Facebook pages.

I am not a big fish chaser but one must "become the backing" if you are going to be successful landing big fish. This means you must be agile and move with the fish in a dance until it has tired enough for you to land.

Also remember the Amago is allowed 4X Tippet so that may help landing larger fish too.

Of course no way for us to say what happened in your case and why the tipset broke but we are here if you need parts.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby GregM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:27 pm

mikeyfranco wrote:... Snapped my rod while landing an 18"+ Snake river cutthroat... Mikey Franco

What were the circumstances? Trying to steer while the fish was upstream, or did it get broadside while downstream?

Landing big fish on an Amago or Yamame is common in slow water. Fast water on the other hand ...

If/when a fish gets downstream I just try to work it back and forth, minimizing the time it is broadside to the current. At the same time I'm looking for a eddy, or becoming one.
GregM

Postby johnnyv145 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:46 am

I use the Amago once in a while for carp. Big carp, 8-12 pounds. The key to not breaking rods on large powerful fish is to get the rod horizontal, parallel to the water after you get a positive hookset. If you try to just fight the fish with the rod vertical, all the load is placed on the top 3-4 segments. The weakest segments of a tenkara rod.

When you fight fish with the rod in the horizontal position, you are loading the entire length of the rod. That is using the bottom 4 segments, the strongest parts of a tenkara rod.

Also, be prepared to run after big fish. You can't just stand still on a bank or in the stream. A lot of times, you got to chase after it or you risk breaking tippet and rod tips.

For really big fish say 15-20 pound carp, you have to move beyond tenkara rods and look at 4.5-5.3m keiryu rods.
Like Tenkara Guides LLC on Facebook
johnnyv145

Postby GregM » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 am

johnnyv145 wrote:...The key to not breaking rods on large powerful fish is to get the rod horizontal, ...

...When you fight fish with the rod in the horizontal position, you are loading the entire length of the rod. That is using the bottom 4 segments, the strongest parts of a tenkara rod.

I agree that when fighting big fish a horizontal rod position is critical. But "horizontal" alone isn't all of it.

Imagine you are fighting a fish while standing in water that is waist deep - and that the butt of your rod is at water level. If you simply swing the rod to a horizontal position nothing about the geometry of the "fighting angle" changes.

What does change is how you can move your rod laterally, pull your "butt hand" back, push your "foregrip hand" forward, and rotate your hips. All of which can open up the "fighting angle", moving the stress into the butt of the rod, right where you want it. There are times when my "butt hand" is well past the side of my body, and sometimes behind it. (And you will see that the first three+ segments will be straight, pointing at the fish, and not subject to any bending load.)

You can do some of this with a vertical rod, but your body will get in the way of your hands, and you lose the rotation that helps with optimizing the "fighting angle".

"Horizontal" isn't magic. It's understanding and optimizing the "fighting angle", and being able to make the moves to get there.

And if you did break a rod in the lower sections, at least you were doing everything you could.
GregM

Postby mikeyfranco » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks everyone. The last few comments were just what I needed. Keeping my rod vertical was most likely the issue. Any video showing some horizontal technique? Now back to chasing bigger trout ;)
mikeyfranco

Return to Tenkara Rods