The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

My first rod???

Discussion on tenkara rods

My first rod???

Postby Flyfreak » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:31 am

Hi

I have just explored tenkara a few days ago and have spend the last two days doing notning else but studdy tenkara... facinating stof and totalt unexplored and unknown here in Denmark...

Anyway, I just have to try this kind of flyfishing and need a rod... But i'm not sure wich one to pick... I am mostly gonna use it on pearch, roach, small carp, maybe small pikes and small trout... I am fishing small streams and small ponds with mid. To heavy cover along the banks...

I have been looking at IWANA 11' or the AYU or the AYU II but I am not shure if the IWANA will be to light or the AYU rods Will be to long despite I keep reading; always choose the longest rod possible...

The fish Will average 8-10" and maybe some few carp and pikes up to , lets say 4pounds... I know that in this wold it would be like picking ONE rod for bones and tarpon but Hopes anyway that some of you can help me get a little closer to make a choise :) ...

Tight lines from DK ;)
"Tenkara is a State of mind"
Flyfreak

Re: My first rod???

Postby Flyfreak » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Just ordered my first tenkara rod, so no need for help anymore(so fare ;) )... The choise Landed on the 11' IWANA... Can't wait to get started with this!

Tight lines...
Flyfreak

Postby jd_smith » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Welcome to the forum.

That's a great rod to get started in tenkara. The 11' Iwana should match your conditions well. It may be one of the shorter T-USA rods but it has plenty of fight in it. Good luck, and have fun!
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby Flyfreak » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:09 am

Hi JD

Thanks :) ... Can't wait to get the rod... Have a Nice weekend...

Tight lines
Marc
Flyfreak

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:05 am

Welcome to the club and enjoy the gear. Just used the Iwana 11' 2 weeks ago in a mountain meadow and had a dream day catching small brookie. Great rod!

Enjoy!

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Flyfreak » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks :)... Just had some great fishing to day for some big "rudskaller"(dont know the english word) with my 2 wt western fly rod, so i'm really looking forward to come back with the IWANA! :) ...

Tight lines...
Flyfreak

Return to Tenkara Rods