The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

advice needed

Discussion on tenkara rods

advice needed

Postby plumberroy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:04 am

I have another brand rod I bought to try tenkara It was bought to get in the door before spending more money on something I wasn't sure I would like. I have now got it together with a level line I like flies that work and how to cast. Since the perfect number of any toys you enjoy is (N+ 1) N= the number of said toy you have now :mrgreen:
Here is how and what I fish : the only trout I see are farm raised early spring stocking in local lakes. Pan fish and creek fish are my main targets on small creeks rivers. I sometimes strap my rod on the toptube of my bike and fish the creeks along bike trails, lakes sometimes out of a kayak or local ponds .
The rod I have is 12 ft 5:5 or 6:4 I am not sure.
I am telling my lovely wife I want a better tenkara rod for Christmas . I have settled on the iwana. My big question should I get the Iwana in 12 foot or since I all ready have a 12 footer would the 11 ft rod be a better choice
Thank you in advance and suffering a newbie to ask a question that has more than likely been ask 14 times all ready
Roy
Gratuitous tenkara fish picture :mrgreen:
plumberroy

Re: advice needed

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:22 am

Iwana 12' is our most popular model and we always recommend going in with the longest rod you can use so I would recommend the 12' unless you are always working real small brushy creeks with very limited casting space.

The nice feature on the Iwana is you can buy the Iwana 11' handle separate and make that 12' Iwana a 11' Iwana but you can't go the other way, so the 12' makes most sense.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby plumberroy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:40 am

TJ @ Tenkara USA wrote:Iwana 12' is our most popular model and we always recommend going in with the longest rod you can use so I would recommend the 12' unless you are always working real small brushy creeks with very limited casting space.

The nice feature on the Iwana is you can buy the Iwana 11' handle separate and make that 12' Iwana a 11' Iwana but you can't go the other way, so the 12' makes most sense.

TJ

Wow that was quick I haven't had trouble with the 12 footer I have so I don't see the iwana 12 foot being a problem. I had not fly fished before but I fish teliscopic bream type pole a lot. I thought tenkara would work with my style of fishing . It is quickly becoming my favorite style of fishing. As I mentioned I often fish along the local bike trails. I am to the point about the only I fish rods with reels on them is fishing for catfish
Thanks for the advice
Roy
plumberroy

Postby farmer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:26 pm

The 12' Iwana is a great rod. You very rarely see a used one for sale. Folks (me included) just won't part with them.
farmer

Postby houghland1966 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:29 pm

I now own many tenkara rods 3 from tenkara USA and 2 other brands. I fish with them all and they are all great rods but the one I use 80% of the time is my 12ft Iwana.
houghland1966

Postby scorpion1971 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Not to deter you from buying the Iwana, but why would you want another 12' 6:4 rod if you already own one? I understand that the ratings are different between manufactures, which could cause the rods to act a little different. I also understand wanting to have a spare in case something happens. If that is the case I would say go with the same exact rod. If you want to try TUSA rods and can get away with longer rods, I recommend the Amago.

Once the rod length get past the 13'6", they tend to fell tip heavy. The Iwana is nice for a beginner who can not afford more than one rod but needs a shorter rod at time. Since you can replace the Handle to get an 11' or 9' rod. The only down fall is having to take the rod apart when fishing. It would seem more feasible if it was a multi length rod instead.
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Return to Tenkara Rods