The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Buy now or wait until after the Tenkara Takeover

Discussion on tenkara rods

Buy now or wait until after the Tenkara Takeover

Postby gallen » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:24 am

Have been researching and reading about Tenkara for a year, but a recent hike in Indian Peaks Wilderness Area has made me more eager to take the plunge. There were so many small spots I wanted to fish, but the hassle-factor of getting out and assembling my Sage 4-piece western setup prevented me from doing so. Just too much trouble/time for fishing a small hole, only to take everything apart and stow it again in my pack. Hiking with a rod/reel in hand is not really possible for me on steep trails. I would get it caught in trees or smash it on a rock.

A post on BackpackingLight pointed me to the Tenkara Takeover in Boulder on August 3rd. I am going to try and make it up from Golden and I may drive up to McGuckin today. Should I buy now or wait until after the Takeover on August 3rd where I'll be able to try some rods?

Greg
gallen

Re: Buy now or wait until after the Tenkara Takeover

Postby tsegelke » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:43 am

Either way you choose, there will be no buyers remorse.

If you are packing, or driving to your fishing spots, nothing beats the ease and speed of Tenkara.

Regardless, the learning curve of anything increases if you can spend some time with anyone with experience. The greatest thing thus far with Tenkara, is the community. I have yet to find any Tenkara angler that feels they have a great secret to protect. Rather we are eager to share, in hopes that others are also so willing. Whenever I have met other Tenkara anglers, it was more like meeting a long time friend, than an adversary.

If you can make it, the time spent with other Tenkara anglers with be much enjoyed.
tsegelke

Postby jd_smith » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:47 pm

It sounds to me that you've convinced yourself why a tenkara rod would be practical for you.

Given the chance and opportunity to try out the rods at the "Tenkara Takeover". I think you should wait till then to cast the rods.

You can decide then if you like the Tenkara style of fishing, and if so which rod you like best.

Daniel will probably have both traditional and level lines to try out and he will surely offer you plenty of his fine knowledge of Tenkara as well as tips on how to use the equipment.

Daniel is a very nice guy. Take Daniel up on his kind offering.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby mossy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi Greg:
Go to 'Gucks & get a 12' Iwana, a 13' T- USA furled line, a spool of 3.5 T-USA line, & you're set - just add your own flies. The Iwana is a special combination of length and weight (very light-weight) and a pleasure to cast. Whether you're fishing the South St. Vrain in Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, the Big T in the Moraine, or the Poudre, the Iwana will become your favorite rod. If it isn't, send me a PM. If it is, thank Daniel!

Jim
St. Vrain River
Big Thompson River
Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park
mossy

Return to Tenkara Rods