The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

ONE adjustable Tenkara rod?!

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: ONE adjustable Tenkara rod?!

Postby LynnFDR » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 pm

jd_smith wrote:
LynnFDR wrote:What - length matters? And I thought all you had to do is make sure it has a cork handle... right? ;)
Please don't take offense and don't take me the wrong way but if you're looking for a debate I'm not your guy. I have many rods and have owned many many more. Not all are Tenkara rods and most of them have a reel. I enjoy them all. And I hope that you enjoy your choices as well.

No offense taken at all, jd. I was just poking you in the ribs. ;)

I think you are quite right about size. There is somewhat a standard among Tenkara rods which is around 3-4 metres. From what I have read over the years, I believe that the 'standard' (if one could call it that) which developed for Tenkara in Japan was dependant upon the characteristics of Japanese mountain streams which often did not have any overhead obstructions in the form of overgrowth. An "American standard" would necessarily take into account those characteristics of streams which occur here. And I believe that many a stream both in eastern and western America would best be fished with a rod shorter than the 'Japanese standard' for tenkara.
LynnFDR

Re: ONE adjustable Tenkara rod?!

Postby erik.ostrander » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 pm

I think zoom rods are for fighting fish, not for finding them. Cast at the shorter length, usually the length the rod is designed to cast smoothly at, and then land the fish with the rod extended.
erik.ostrander

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods