The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

ONE adjustable Tenkara rod?!

Discussion on tenkara rods

ONE adjustable Tenkara rod?!

Postby tejplunkett » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:41 pm

This might be an interesting subject. Does any one know of a manufacturer of tenkara rods or a DIYer that has come up with an adjustable rod? Heres the idea (although it would certainly discourage the sale of multiple different rods, cutting into profits) imagine a rod that can telescope from 9' or less, to 15 feet!! It would have 2 to 3 "twist locks/locking cone locks or lever locks", similar to camera tripods or poles. When you are in brushy/tree type areas with a twist of the lock you could shorten it, in a clear area with a wide stream/river one could max it out at its 15' length. The locks themselves are plastic and quite light so it should not interfere in the weight/casting ability. You could have various line lengths to attach for short and long reaches (maybe even Tanago fishing?!) Whats YOUR thoughts?
tejplunkett

Re: ONE adjustable Tenkara rod?!

Postby craigthor » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:05 pm

honestly I bet the rod would be all over the place as far as balance and casting. I've got a handful of different Zoom rods and though they are nice you have to sacrifice somewhere to get other options. I know there are a few double zoom rods though only one is a true Tenkara rod and I haven't played with that one. I've gotten and used:

TUSA Ito
Shimano ZE
Shimano ZL
craigthor

Postby tvdavis » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:52 am

Gamakastsu has a multi-zoom rod -- I think four or more zoomable sections. I believe Chris Stewart handled it when he was in Japan this past few months and stated it was amazingly heavy (contact him to see if I am correct in my assumption). The more zoomable sections the heavier the rod. At some point it becomes unwieldy. The Suntech Field Master and Suikei are multiposition at 3.2, 3.6 and 3.9 meters. They are light and cast well but are not tenkara rods, but rather are keiryu rods. I've had both but now just the Suikei -- the Field Master was just a little stiff; the Suikei (soft version) is more to my liking.
-Tom
tvdavis

Postby LynnFDR » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:43 pm

It seems that most Japanese rod makers concentrate on the long side of the spectrum when creating zoom rods. It would be interesting if a rod maker were to consider a zoom in the 2.6m/3.0m/3.3m range or simply a single-zoom in the 2.7m/3.2m or so range. Such a rod, if light-weight, would be especially useful in the eastern United States on overgrown streams.
LynnFDR

Postby jd_smith » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:31 pm

A true Tenkara rod is in the range of 3.0m (10') to 4.5m (15'), rods that are shorter or longer are generally considered not to be a Tenkara rod. There are a few multi length offerings (zoom) that are in the shorter Tenkara rod range of approximately 3.0m to 3.8m. With the success of the ITO, I have a sneaking suspicion that TenkaraUSA will be entering that market as well. Just a hunch on my part though. We'll see. ;)
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby tnitz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:44 am

This is just my personal opinion and experience and not intended to dissuade anyone - merely to offer up a counter perspective.

I really dislike adjustible rods. The only occasion I've had to use one is when I can get by with a longer rod except for particular spots where I need a slightly shorter rod for a particular spot. This is actually rare for me, though I am typically fishing very tight mountain streams. Also, for those rare moments, I can always collapse the rod one segment and just hold it there. While it doesn't always work, another approach that works better is to shorten the line - that also usually gets me into a tight spot and with greater control.

The rod length is only one thing that goes into my mind when I begin fishing. The action of the rod is at least as important in choosing which rod I use that day. While I have a couple rods I would like to replace for another that fits the niche better (and one is a zoom rod) and I have a remaining gap in need for a rod, I simple don't find alot of utility in zoom rods. Also, the waterways I fish don't change that much to where I need different length rods - if I am on xxx waterway this day, it's generally this size and configuration for the stretch I am fishing.

I find it very difficult to go from casting, say, 3.9m rod to 3.6m rod "on the fly". The swing, the balance, the ratio of line to rod length, it's all different. The rod action changes. It's not that I can't cast, but those vital first casts at the new length are rarely as precise as I need and usually in a situation where gentle presentation is required. I usually lose that when shifting lengths.

I nearly always use the rod at its full length. Just the way I am.

In return for all these features I don't really use, I get greater weight and complexity, two things antithetical to my angling.

For these reasons I am unlikely to purchase another "zoom" rod.
tnitz

Postby LynnFDR » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:36 pm

jd_smith wrote:A true Tenkara rod is in the range of 3.0m (10') to 4.5m (15'), rods that are shorter or longer are generally considered not to be a Tenkara rod. There are a few multi length offerings (zoom) that are in the shorter Tenkara rod range of approximately 3.0m to 3.8m. With the success of the ITO, I have a sneaking suspicion that TenkaraUSA will be entering that market as well. Just a hunch on my part though. We'll see. ;)

What - length matters? And I though all you had to do is make sure it has a cork handle... right? ;)
LynnFDR

Postby jd_smith » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:50 pm

LynnFDR wrote:What - length matters? And I thought all you had to do is make sure it has a cork handle... right? ;)

Aw shucks! I guess I walked right into that one. I think Tenkara is more about the method than it is about the rod. The fact is, there is a common theme, in Japan, in Tenkara, that "Tenkara rods" are built with certain specs, lengths and components i.e a handle of some sort that define them as a Tenkara rod, as opposed to Keiryo or Seiryo or Tanago or whatever. I will admit that sometimes there is overlap and similarities between the definitive rods. I don't think that there ever really was a debate about what is a Tenkara rod. I think that one got misinterpreted and in turn got way out of hand.

Please don't take offense and don't take me the wrong way but if you're looking for a debate I'm not your guy. I have many rods and have owned many many more. Not all are Tenkara rods and most of them have a reel. I enjoy them all. And I hope that you enjoy your choices as well.
Last edited by jd_smith on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby jd_smith » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 pm

John I'm not sure where your post went, but to answer your question about those packages...NOPE I've never seen those. :lol:
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby johnnyv145 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:19 am

jd_smith wrote:John I'm not sure where your post went, but to answer your question about those packages...NOPE I've never seen those. :lol:

Guess I accidentally deleted it so here it is:

Length always matters.
Have you ever seen a package of size small condoms? :P

John
Like Tenkara Guides LLC on Facebook
johnnyv145

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods