The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

What fell out of my rod?

Discussion on tenkara rods

What fell out of my rod?

Postby cmphillippe » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:05 am

I was putting my 12' Iwana away last night and as I collapsed the sections, a thin (3-4 mm) piece of a fabric like material about 3 inches long came out one of the sections. It's obviously part of the rod, but what is it and how do I fix it?
cmphillippe

Re: What fell out of my rod?

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:00 am

Hi cmphillippe,

It's probably just a sliver of graphite left over from manufacturing that worked it's way out as you opened and closed the rod. Please look over the outside of the rod, if there is a chunk gone from the outside it could be a problem so please contact us at info@tenkarausa.com.

It's a good idea to take your rod apart occasionally and clean the sections. You may want to go ahead and do this to make sure the rod doesn't have anything else trapped in the sections. Here is a link to a video on how to do that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qh8b2eq53o

We're sorry that your rod did have this piece of debris (I'm assuming), we know it can be disconcerting. Please contact us at the above email of at 1 888 483 6527 if you need to.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby msteudel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:38 am

cmphillippe wrote:I was putting my 12' Iwana away last night and as I collapsed the sections, a thin (3-4 mm) piece of a fabric like material about 3 inches long came out one of the sections. It's obviously part of the rod, but what is it and how do I fix it?

Do you still have it, maybe you could take a picture and post it?
-----------------------
Work

Play

http://www.theweavils.com = Music
msteudel

Postby cmphillippe » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:23 pm

A bad image but hopefully you can see enough to determine wht it is.
Attachments
Fishing 20132013-06-189517 - 2013-06-18 at 21-15-45 (1).jpg
cmphillippe

Postby adventureR » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:42 pm

I don't know if this is extra material or damage. The only way to be sure is to peer into the sections one at a time with a bright light angled just right to inspect the inner sections of segments. Eye on one side, flashlight on the other end!
I found this material once on the Yamame and thought it's just lose material. Much later down the road experienced a jam in the rod while trying to collapse the sections. Thankfully found this after turning my back to the water after my last cast! Where the loose material came out I suspect left a splintered area that acted as a wedge. I ended up breaking a section of rod in order to collapse the rod the rest of the way. Weather this is the case with your rod you won't know till you look. I believe I got a year and a half out of my rod before there was a problem, if that's what happened. I didn't put the two things together, I didn't see anything that jumped out saying damage when I looked way back when. I have a pretty good eagle eye too. Your strip of material looks pretty big though. Tell us what you find cmp.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby cmphillippe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:05 am

Finally had an opportunity to take my rod apart and give it a detailed exam. I can see no apparent damage either inside (nice smooth walls from mandrel) or the outside so I'm assuming the fragment was simply left in the manufacturing process. Before it fell out, however, it would cause the rod to jam when being collapsed so it was a bit annoying as we'll as puzzling.

Thanks for the help guys!
cmphillippe

Postby lolajoker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:36 pm

I just had a similar thing happen tonight. I was fishing on Bear Creek tonight and I was collapsing my Iwana when the last segment stuck. When I tried to get it unstuck, a carbon fiber shard was sticking out of the segment. I thought I had broken my rod but it was getting dark so I waited till I got home to inspect. Everything was fine with the rod. It wasn't broken, there was just this thin 10 inch, thin shard that must have been in there since it was made and it got stuck when I collapsed the rod tonight. It scared the hell out of me though!
lolajoker

Postby Restewart » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:57 am

Question: Would it be advisable to disassemble a new rod to inspect for such things prior to extending it the first time? At this point I plan to do so when I receive my new Amago, as it will be my first Tenkara rod and I don't want a problem like this to mar my initial experience.
Restewart

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:52 am

Most of the time, it shouldn't be a problem. However, we do recommend periodically taking the rods apart for cleaning. It wouldn't hurt anything to take your rod apart when you get it, so long as you're familiar with the process. Here's a nice video Daniel did on rod maintenance:

John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby lolajoker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:03 am

John @ Tenkara USA wrote:Most of the time, it shouldn't be a problem. However, we do recommend periodically taking the rods apart for cleaning. It wouldn't hurt anything to take your rod apart when you get it, so long as you're familiar with the process. Here's a nice video Daniel did on rod maintenance:

The funny thing is, I have taken my rod apart a few times to clean it and never saw this shard. My rod is 2 years old! It must have been stuck inside the largest segment before the base. I had been noticing the second to last segment had been sticking lately, then it stuck real hard last night and as I gently tried to get it unstuck, the shard was sticking straight out as I collapsed the segments down. I thought, "Oh crap, I just broke my rod!"
lolajoker

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods