The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Replacing a 5wt: which rod

Discussion on tenkara rods

Replacing a 5wt: which rod

Postby msteudel » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:21 pm

I lost my 5wt on a fishing trip and haven't replaced it yet ... and then found about Tenkara and have been thinking about just getting a Tenkara rod instead. I basically have two types of streams I fish:

1. Small streams, usually plenty of back casting room, 12" max,
2. Yakima river, bigger river, fish usually in the 12 - 16 inch range, but have caught up to 20+ (though that's rare for me). We often fish larger flies, stone fly nymphs/dries with droppers.

I also fish a lot on the Delaware branches (East, West, Main sten) ....

Any thoughts on which rod?
-----------------------
Work

Play

http://www.theweavils.com = Music
msteudel

Re: Replacing a 5wt: which rod

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:36 am

Hi msteudel,

The easy answer is the Ito. It sounds like the small stream you regularly fish will have plenty of room for it at 13' and you'll be able to use the rod at 14'6" on the bigger water.

If you didn't want out with our premium rod, I'd say buy the rod that for the streams you fish the most and make it work for you on the other water. If that's small streams, go with the 12' Iwana; if it's the bigger water get the 13'6" Amago. I would lean towards the 12' Iwana for most people just getting started out in tenkara.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby adventureR » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:59 am

I have a Yamame, and Ayu, wife has an 11' Iwana. Using these three rods I feel longer is nice taking advantage of the presentation side of fly placement without line on the water. The softer rods are sooooo nice to cast without any effort it seems. The stiffer (Yamame) is a nice length, and feels a bit more accurate, and tough for keeping a little more control of the fish after hook set. The Yamame is my favorite casts bigger flys better. But using the Ayu, and Iwana 11 though feels nice during the cast and bends the rod very well with a small fish on. Fishing these three rods I think the Amago or Ito might be the best of both worlds. After coming from western gear and just holding a Tenkara rod you'll raise an eyebrow at the light weight feel. I have seen this face many times. It's only the beginning though. After getting good at a cast and hooking some fish you'll see why I have so many posts here. Keep us informed of your choice msteudel. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rods. Comparing the western rod to Tenkara rods doesn't really translate. Apples & Oranges! Hope this helps get you closer to a choice for gear.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby msteudel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Are the softer rods able to cast bigger flies like size 10 stimulators ok?
-----------------------
Work

Play

msteudel

Postby craigthor » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:53 pm

My softer rods cast a size 10 unweighted sakasa kebari just fine, not sure I would want to use anything that may be to heavy on the softer rod as that may effect performance.
craigthor

Postby msteudel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:51 pm

In general longer rods mean you can handle more line which in turn means longer casts? Is the Ito basically an amago that can get longer? Also any idea when the amago will be unbsckordered?
-----------------------
Work

Play

msteudel

Postby craigthor » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Pretty much, though the Ito fishes as 2 different rods at each of its lengths it doesn't fish like one rod in both positions.
craigthor

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:28 am

I think line selection is every bit as important as rod selection if you want to throw big flies. Heavier level lines, tapered lines, and even the floating lines that are out there will make it easier to cast the big stuff, but you'll loose some of the advantages of tenkara as a trade off.

Everyone's situation is different; I'm loving the new 2.5 lines but I rarely fish anything but about a size 10-12 unweighted sakasa fly with. When I mostly fished bushy western dry flies, I stuck with the 4.5 level lines. I still use them sometimes when fishing with weight in the winter.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby Anthony » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:04 am

Like John says the line can make a huge difference. I was just out recently and fished a very light furled tapered line (a floating line) and it turned over large dries like a dream. the same rod and flies with a level line was a completely different animal and the large flies were very difficult to turn over.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby msteudel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah I wanted to get a furled line but decided on just gettin a few things at a time. I got a 3.5 level line so it'll be interesting what size of flies I can cast.
-----------------------
Work

Play

msteudel

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods