The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Bass Rod

Discussion on tenkara rods

Bass Rod

Postby loafskibum » Wed May 15, 2013 5:03 am

I got the Iwana 11ft this winter thinking I would use it only for backpacking trips or take when I am out hiking, but it is all I have been fishing with this spring. As it is getting warmer however I am running into larger fish which are over powering the Iwana. The question is, Yamame or Amago for bass?
loafskibum

Re: Bass Rod

Postby tsegelke » Wed May 15, 2013 5:34 am

I would go for the Amago. It's longer, has good back bone, and is still nice to cast.
tsegelke

Postby adventureR » Wed May 15, 2013 6:18 am

My wife's 11' Iwana is really fun and easy on your arm. Casts beautifully, without much effort. However the simple addition of a foot using my Yamame makes a difference that must be experienced. I think the Amago is preferred by most. I have used the Yamame now for so long I'm afraid I'm a bit biased. It seems I can cast and fish with the Yamame like its an extension of my arm. Also the firm action of the Yamame is transmitted to the fly for extra punctuation on fly movement and hook setting. I'm curious what you'll choose. Seems you can't go wrong with either rod.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Skinhead » Thu May 16, 2013 11:41 am

Not tried an Amago, but I christened my Yamame a couple of weeks ago with a brown trout that pulled the scales to a shade over 3lb, three others followed and one lost double digit salmon. None of the trout stretched the capabilities of the rod, and the salmon was only lost when I didn't follow it downstream, a mistake that I will remember to the grave, I've never hooked a salmon before.
シモン
Skinhead

Return to Tenkara Rods