The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

ITO's extension

Discussion on tenkara rods

ITO's extension

Postby LeGrand » Mon May 06, 2013 7:03 am

Was trying out my ITO, and no problem with the 13' lenght, but I was unsure with the 14' aspect of it. When getting that extra lenght out, I was not to confident with where it finally anchored by re-twisting it so it would not slide either out or back down.

Where it seems to finally anchored is almost to its full lenght. Does not seem like there is much inside the end tip of the extension inside the rod base (i.e., 1/2 inch). My feeling is that once you would hook a fish, it would not take much for the rods ends to break at that intersection.

I'm I doing it right? Doesn't seem to want to anchor anywhere else than those spots.
LeGrand

Re: ITO's extension

Postby craigthor » Mon May 06, 2013 7:17 am

Pictures? For the short time I used my ITO I never felt it would break.
craigthor

Re: ITO's extension

Postby jd_smith » Mon May 06, 2013 7:43 am

The easiest way that I've found to measure the overlap of the sections is to extend the rod and measure from the tip of the section in question and down toward the handle to the point of overlap of the next section. Remember the number or write it down, and then disassemble the rod and again measure from the tip of that same section down toward the base using the same measurement you wrote down and look at how much of the blank is left for overlap. If it is indeed only a 1/2" that is not a properly seating rod and I too would question it's durability.

On the smaller sections I have found that about 3/4"-1 1/4" overlap to be fairly adequate and standard, and the fatter sections having just a bit more overlap of about 1 1/2"-2" being fairly standard. If you're seeing an unpainted surface at full extension things may not be right.

One thing's for sure though, if it's not right TenkaraUSA will happily fix it. Best customer service in the biz!!!

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Return to Tenkara Rods