The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Which rod for swinging flies?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: Which rod for swinging flies?

Postby Skinhead » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:04 am

jd_smith wrote:[quote="Heli911"Since I don't have any experience in tenkara fishing, and have limited casting with the ito, I was leaning towards the yamame just due to the faster action and the fact it takes a little more work to load the rod. I don't know if it has a bigger tip section or not. Maybe somebody has a comparison?

To answer your question directly. Yes. The Yamame does have a bigger/fatter tip section than the Ito. I don't have the actual figures for them now because I've sold both my Yamame and my Ito, but they were very different. If I were to give a fair estimate to size, I would say the Ito is about .7mm at the tip and the Yamame about .9mm at the tip.
JD[/quote]

I don't have an Ito, but I do have a Yamame that is yet to be cast. I just measured the tip at the Lillian with a digital calliper and it goes 0.83mm.
シモン
Skinhead

Postby TENKARAJOE » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:15 pm

I cast bunny leeches, coneheads, beaded woolies up to 2" long and the Yamame turns them without a problem. You are always in control and position your fly where you want. You will definetely feel those delicate grabs at the end of the swing and you will have the backbone to handle the big guys.
TENKARAJOE

Postby tiptop » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Strikes when swinging flies often happen at the end of a downstream drift and can be pretty strong. I'd also be concerned about breaking the tippet with a strong downstream strike, especially if you have your arm extended and the fish goes downstream on its first run. I'd recommend keeping your elbow in to give yourself a bit of a shock absorber and room to play the fish -- and get ready to run downstream ;) . I'd also choose a rod that will take a 4x tippet.
tiptop

Postby tsegelke » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:10 pm

I own and Ito and Amago. I prefer the Ito for it's softer tip and it still has the backbone to handle the rare 4-5 lb fish. Keep in mind I fish only in the film or on top with my Ito. The amago has more backbone and is not as supple as the Ito. For swinging and in more current, I like the Amago.
tsegelke

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods