The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Handle Updates

Discussion on tenkara rods

Handle Updates

Postby scorpion1971 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:11 pm

With good quality cork demanding a premium are there any plans to change the handle material? Just by looking at pics, it seems most TUSA cork handles have allot of filler in them. I know some people say it adds character to a rod. I can deal with it but it would be nice to have an alternative. Would it be possible to offer handle options such as an EVA foam handle or even a flocked Poly foam core grip?
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Re: Handle Updates

Postby Nagasaurus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:29 am

I've done a little bit of handle building for custom fly rods and one alternative is a product called "burl cork". It has no voids in it so you get the feel of a natural product but without the need for any filler. "Real" natural burl is rare so the product is actually a composite of pieces of cork mixed with modern resins.

Often it is used to create accents in a cork grip but I've made entire grips out of it as well. It does have a couple of drawbacks in that it is a bit heavier than standard cork and also denser so harder to ream (might raise manufacturing costs a bit). But it is, IMO, a good compromise between the tradition of 100% natural cork and going totally synthetic.
Last edited by Nagasaurus on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nagasaurus

Postby Karl Klavon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:54 am

Actually being a bit heavier than natural cork would be an advantage in that it would tend to offset the tip heavy feeling that the longer T-rods have by counter balancing the weight of the rod to some extent. And being more durable than cork is always a plus as well. I think the burl cork is attractive in its own right, even though some might feel it is not as traditional looking as the "real " cork is. But that's just a matter of taste. Art forms should follow function, and the burl cork grips may be more functional on a number of fronts for Tenkara rod grips.
Karl Klavon

Postby narcodog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm

The cork on TenkaraUSA rods is the only item I have a problem with. Way to much filler and when it falls out invariably it is at an annoying spot.
narcodog

Postby Nagasaurus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:57 am

Here's an example I made using burl cork rings to create a half wells grip for a 4wt rod.

I've never had any problems with the current cork handles so I doubt I'll ever try to replace the grip on a TUSA rod with burl cork.
Attachments
burl_grip.jpg
Burl cork grip
Nagasaurus

Postby williamhj » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:26 am

Light/blonde burl could be nice. I find some of the darker burls can seem overdone. I'm a big fan of rattan grips on my lighter rods, feels and looks great and is a great way to get rid of bad cork on a custom build. Also love birch bark grips. Personally I think a birch grip is the best looking and feeling grip with a smooth, quality natural cork a close second. I haven't thought about it much on my Tenkara USA rod, I suppose I don't pay much attention on non-custom rods. For me it's felt and worked just fine. But if I was building one off a blank I might try rattan.
williamhj

Postby panther » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:39 pm

I come to Tenkara after decades of being a serious spin fisherman. I have a real quality spinning rod (made by Phenix). It uses "burl cork", and I am very pleased with it.

I'll be doing some Tenkara fishing in the Eastern Sierra in May with my new Iwana. Anxious to try it on some streams there.
panther

Return to Tenkara Rods