The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Rod choice for Smallmouth Bass

Discussion on tenkara rods

Rod choice for Smallmouth Bass

Postby EsoxMagus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 pm

A question for the expeienced tenkara anglers out there: For smallmouth on the St. Croix River... would you go with an Amago or a Yamame. I will be casting from a boat in general.

Thanks!
Last edited by EsoxMagus on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EsoxMagus

Re: Rod choice for Smallmoith Bass

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:31 pm

I was just in that area and got to fish the Kinni with Jeff Butler, who guides for smallies on the St. Croix. Jeff has landed some very impressive specimens on his Yamame, and I think he likes the back bone of that rod for the big fish you guys have. I would definitely consider the length advantage of the Amago. The Yamame is a little stiffer, though and you guys do have some awfully nice size smallmouth. Good luck, I think you'll have a lot of fun regardless of what rod you go with.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby EsoxMagus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Thank you, Jeff.
EsoxMagus

Postby pechelman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:19 am

moving water + hard fighters = amago

still water you could go either way i think, but never having cast the yamame, and only seen pics of how it flexes, it doesnt look like a rod i'd like. (i love the amago)
pechelman

Re: Rod choice for Smallmouth Bass

Postby TENKARAJOE » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Recently bought a Yamame for fishing Smallmouth in North Eastern Wisconsin. Love this fast action, very sensitive rod. Specially handy for fishing at night, you hardly miss a bite. Superb!
TENKARAJOE

Return to Tenkara Rods