The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Amago Butt Cap Bumper Issue

Discussion on tenkara rods

Amago Butt Cap Bumper Issue

Postby GregM » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:16 pm

At the start of a recent day on the river I had some difficulty extending my rod. I thought perhaps it had acquired some grit and needed to be cleaned. What I found was a minor issue with the bumper in the butt cap.

The bumper has recessed a bit and the hollow of the cap precisely fits around Section 4, holding it securely when all the pieces align. The first image shows the butt cap and the captured Section 4. The second image shows the recess.

Not a big deal and easy to remedy, but worth noting. I don't see any "crimping" of the end of Section 4 and I don't see any "shaving" of the outside surface. Even IF that were the case, the end of Section 4 is well below the locking interface and would not be an immediate problem.

I will add another layer of "bumper" material to eliminate the problem, and I will make it big enough to cushion sections 2 and 3 as well. (I've always wondered where the "clank" came from.)
Attachments
ButtCap1w.jpg
click to enlarge
ButtCap2w.jpg
click to enlarge
GregM

Re: Amago Butt Cap Bumper Issue

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Greg,

Thank you for bringing that up to our attention. We're starting to cover the plugs more thoroughly with rubber, though I was not aware of the segment sticking in the plug. So thank you.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Amago Butt Cap Bumper Issue

Postby adventureR » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Greg you could try placing a small disk of craft foam on top of the plug. It would keep things quiet and in place.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to Tenkara Rods