Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara USA warranty process

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: Tenkara USA warranty process

Postby CraigP » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:57 pm

the rod warranty and service ethic puts Tenkara USA miles in front of the competition. With the competitor brands, even the expensive ones, replacement for breakage is typically a no go, and even if they suggest it is possible, you just try getting a replacement from Japan. so you end up buying spares with the rod, and still aren't protected.

On other sites I always remind people of this factor when they are asking what rod to select. it's too easy to forget this and just focus on price (or grams - BTW, weight is a very poor determinant of a rod choice). when a person starting out asks what rod, my suggesion is typically, if you only want to own one rod, start with an iwana. great rod, worry and hassle free, with a life long warranty backed by a long term company with a proven record of service.
CraigP

Postby scorpion1971 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:21 pm

It is possible to get replacement parts from Japan. The down side is the shipping cost involved. But it is nice owning Some different quality gear.
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Postby craigthor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:01 pm

CraigP wrote:the rod warranty and service ethic puts Tenkara USA miles in front of the competition. With the competitor brands, even the expensive ones, replacement for breakage is typically a no go, and even if they suggest it is possible, you just try getting a replacement from Japan. so you end up buying spares with the rod, and still aren't protected.

On other sites I always remind people of this factor when they are asking what rod to select. it's too easy to forget this and just focus on price (or grams - BTW, weight is a very poor determinant of a rod choice). when a person starting out asks what rod, my suggesion is typically, if you only want to own one rod, start with an iwana. great rod, worry and hassle free, with a life long warranty backed by a long term company with a proven record of service.

Funny I haven't had any issues with getting replacement tip plugs, new rods, or anything out of Japan, usually arrive in 5-7 business days. Also, I have never broken one of my rods either, so no need to grab replacement parts before hand, and the one rod that came with a defect was swapped immediately and a replacement was too me in a week.
craigthor

Postby craigthor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:04 pm

scorpion1971 wrote:It is possible to get replacement parts from Japan. The down side is the shipping cost involved. But it is nice owning Some different quality gear.

Yep, and even the shipping cost isn't that bad when compared to priority mail whether it is a new rod or a replacement tip plug.
craigthor

Postby jd_smith » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:22 am

In addition, I'll add that the cost of Tenkara USA replacement tips have recently had a serious price increase from $7 to $17. WOW! thats a serious price increase. Looks like the same parts to me.

Does competition really help keep costs in check? I'm not too sure about this.

One company comes up with a new way to market their product calling it new technology. New technology that rarely gives the consumer much if any improved performance, other than a new bell e.g better cork or a swivel tip, or a new whistle e.g pretty paint. Now they're claiming that their product is the best. They charge more for their best product and the others soon follow in chase. The consumer gets screwed.

In the recent past I paid $135.95 for my Iwana and $7.00 for spare tips, brand new! This was when Tenkara USA heald most if not all of the game pieces in the US market.

Now I'm not trying to bash TUSA here, or anybody else. I still think TUSA has the BEST WARRANTY in the biz and probably for the best price as well. However I don't think that competition is as good for the consumer as some might lead you to believe. It's a competition to be the best, and the best products ALWAYS come at a higher price to the consumer. Choices however, will help keep costs down on the lower end models.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby dwalker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:48 am

jd_smith wrote:In addition, I'll add that the cost of Tenkara USA replacement tips have recently had a serious price increase from $7 to $17. WOW! thats a serious price increase. Looks like the same parts to me.

While it's difficult to say what all the factors are that contribute to a price increase for replacement parts. It could be due to increased cost of free warranty repairs or other factors. However - My bet is that most of the price increase comes from the fact that Washington won't stop spending money and Ben Bernanke is printing money so fast the ink doesn't have time to dry. ( well ok its really electronic cyber dollars that are transferring our money to the bankers, enriching them at our expense)

Speaking of which, Nathan at Noodler's ink has bit of fun with Ben and the rising cost of raw materials to make products in his introduction of fast drying Bernanke Ink , available in Black or Blue. Kind of a fun read if you have a geeky side. :roll:
http://noodlersink.com/general/new-bernanke-inks/

jd_smith wrote:.... I still think TUSA has the BEST WARRANTY in the biz and probably for the best price as well. However I don't think that competition is as good for the consumer as some might lead you to believe. It's a competition to be the best, and the best products ALWAYS come at a higher price to the consumer. Choices however, will help keep costs down on the lower end models.

JD

Free repairs are never really free, the cost of free repairs get passed on to the price of the products. Just as taxes on the manufacture of a product get passed to the consumer in the form of increased price.

For the rest I think it depends upon how you define "best". Sometimes when people say the best, they really mean "the best", and competition does produce the highest preforming product, at a higher price.

Other times when people say "the best", they leave out a silent phrase. "The best -for the lowest price". They are looking for the sweet spot of best performance for the lowest price. The cross over point between performance and cost of production. Nothing wrong with that. This is what Consumer Reports magazine recommends. If the first 12 foot tenkara rod I ever saw cost $400 I probably would never have ordered the first one.

TUSA has held the prices of their rods to a reasonable level. I've only needed to use the warranty once for an Ito rod. And was glad to have it repaired at no direct cost to me. Wonderful ,low risk way to get into tenkara.

otoh , with maturing of tenkara here in the USA some folks are now willing to pay more for higher performance. I have one of those kinds of rods, its very nice. I have noticed that the price of this rod has decreased a little from when I ordered it. Is that due to competition, more companies selling the rods here, or lowered cost due to importers ordering at a higher volume. I don't know the answer to that. Internet shopping does drive a lot of people to order from a place with just slightly lower prices. I'm one of those hard heads who is happy to pay a bit more for a bicycle from a locally owned shop, from a guy who really understands his products, vs lowest price from someone who only knows how to bar scan the sticker and ask for my money. Part of what determines if a product is "the best" is dealing with someone who understands the product and its uses. That's worth something to me. And its also part of my definition of the best.

Yep, choices will also drive what is available. The best, no matter the cost, will go away if no one buys them. Likewise I think the best for the price could go way , or become less available, if people choose to pay double or triple the price for a 50% increase in performance. Which is best - a Fiat, Ford or BMW?

Anyway, enjoy the free repairs while they are able to be offered. :)

fwiw,

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby craigthor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:57 am

Dwalker- As for the price coming down compared to a year or 2 ago the Yen is getting much better dollar for dollar.

https://encrypted.google.com/finance/chart?&q=CURRENCY:JPYUSD&tkr=1&p=5Y&chst=vkc&chs=229x94&chsc=1

Almost back to 2009 levels from the highs of last year.
craigthor

Postby jd_smith » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 pm

dwalker wrote:Anyway, enjoy the free repairs while they are able to be offered. :)

fwiw,

D

D, you have me very confused. Just where and how are you getting this Free Repair. I see a great warranty with a genuine commitment attached to their rods by Tenkara USA, but it is not a free service. You said that you had your Ito repaired at no direct cost to you. Did you not have to pay for the service same as I have in the past? $17 is a fair price but it's certainly not free. Now $17 for a spare part that just recently was $7, that feels a lot like price gouging. I understand inflation of materials costs, but very rarely do they increase 140% overnight. And if this is the case, and I don't think it is, the cost of the rods is very soon to follow. And again with very little increase of quality to the consumer.

fwiw

JD
Last edited by jd_smith on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:47 pm

A quick note about our warranty/replacement part price increase.
The tip sets have gone up from 7.50 to $17, which is the same cost as for getting other parts AND INCLUDES SHIPPING AND HANDLING.
We attempted to subsidize the cost of the replacement tips with the idea that only those who needed would get one. However we were losing money on them. Our average cost of shipping and handling is close to $12...we were losing $5 per spare tip people were buying. AND, no, we do not build the price of warranty into our rods.
We felt it was appropriate to increase the cost to cover shipping and handling and part of the cost of the tip sets and continue allowing folks to get them as spares (something we do NOT recommend). I believe this is understandable.

Further, I should mention that we make use of instruments to maintain our prices competitive despite the increase in value in the Chinese currency (our rods are made on China). The one price increase we had in 4 years, on one rod and for only $12, had to do with improvements on the rod that required a higher price. We keep our prices fair, not driven by what our competitors do but by our costs of designing, tweaking, improving and manufacturing the products.

Lastly, we will be around for the long term. We will always support our rods, something that I am not sure others will be capable of sustaining.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby dwalker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:59 pm

jd_smith wrote:D, you have me very confused. Just where and how are you getting this Free Repair. I see a great warranty with a genuine commitment attached to their rods by Tenkara USA, but it is not a free service. You said that you had your Ito repaired at no direct cost to you.
JD

JD, I admit I have a terrible memory and I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast last Saturday. But to my best recall. The Ito broke while I was making a forward cast. The line was not caught on anything, nor was the rod stepped on or in any other way abused. I emailed TUSA, and TJ mailed out the repair parts. The sections that broke + a section on either ends of the ones that broke. No charge to me that I recall. Not even the price of a phone call.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/guarantee.php

... So, all Tenkara USA rods are fully warranted for life of product.

* Limits may apply to breakages due carelessness and product abuse, including but not limited to: stepping or running over a rod, trying to catch sharks, fighting bears, using rod as a tent pole, etc...

* Contact us first so we know you have a problem, what rod model you have, etc. We will determine the best way to proceed, depending on the problem, and will get your rod back in working order the quickest way possible. We will provide instructions on how to proceed with getting it done.

If I was charged $5 for the repair it must have been such an insignificant amount that I don't recall spending the money. My understanding was that if a rod broke during normal use there was no charge for the repair. But if I wanted to order spare parts, just to have them on hand, I would be charged. But I never order spare parts. Fact is, if I ever ordered spare parts I'd probably forget where I put them before I ever needed them. :shock: Or more likely, my wife would move them from where I left them. Disturbing the king's stuff in his own castle causes beaucoup problems periodically in the local domicile. :x

That being said. I just looked in the corner and the tube the new rod sections came in is still in the corner by my desk. Filled with the broken parts that would fit in the tube. A clue as to why my wife cleans house and moves my stuff. :roll:

fwiw,
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Rods