The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Rod weight questions?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Rod weight questions?

Postby craigthor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Just curious how rod weight affects your choice and selection of rods you choose for a days outing? I know it seems silly .5 or 1 ounce would make that much difference, but after getting my hands on some longer rods that are super light 3.8 m @ 2.3 oz and 3.4-3.8 Zoom @ 2.5 oz even my rods that are closer to 3 oz feel really heavy in the hand. Just curious how others feel about this in their rod selection.

Craig
craigthor

Re: Rod weight questions?

Postby tsegelke » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:02 pm

I have found that it's the balance of the rod, not the total weight. If it feels top heavy, then I get tired by the end of a long day. If it is balanced well, the casting seems effortless, and I don't feel the difference.
tsegelke

Postby craigthor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:05 pm

tsegelke wrote:I have found that it's the balance of the rod, not the total weight. If it feels top heavy, then I get tired by the end of a long day. If it is balanced well, the casting seems effortless, and I don't feel the difference.

That is part of the equation, but even with multiple well balanced rods that feel light in hand have you found any fatigue fishing with you heavier ones?
craigthor

Postby adventureR » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 am

Using the Yamame w/ Namazu answers this balance question. My Yamame rod weighs 3.4 ounces Namazu (carved line holder) weighs 1.6 ounces together it's 4.9 on my scale. The combined weight feels like a feather holding Namazu as a handle while fishing. Holding the rod handle at the plug is slightly heavier. Remove Namazu and the lack of an ounce makes the rod feel extremely light. But without having this slight difference of weight to feel fatigue won't enter your mind. My advise is if your going to take out more than one rod fish the heaviest rod first. The weights being so light to begin with tells me this is in our heads more than in our hands.

Shoveling gravel to fix a rut in the driveway can also make a telescoping rod feel very light!
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to Tenkara Rods