The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Iwana!

Discussion on tenkara rods

Iwana!

Postby christianfishn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:29 pm

How does/will the 12 ft Iwana fare on the streams in the smokies? Do you think it's too much rod and too long? thanks
christianfishn

Re: Iwana!

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 pm

christianfishn wrote:How does/will the 12 ft Iwana fare on the streams in the smokies? Do you think it's too much rod and too long? thanks

Hi Christianfishn, the Iwana 12' rod is a great rod for both small waters are even streams that get a little larger.

Take a look at this blog Daniel posted with video about using a tenkara rod as a practice tool in your home. This shows a unique advantage of a telescopic rod in that if you are working smaller waters, you can close some segments of the rod and cast from further up the rod shaft making for a small rod for closer range casting or when you have tons of brush around you. You will see Daniel is casting our rod from a chair almost butted up against our Tenkara USA booth.

So do not let the length of a tenkara rod scare you because not only is our casting stroke shorter and a more up and down versus back and forth, you can close segments of the rod in certain times of need.

Blog post that will be helpful:
http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/?p=4270

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby tntom » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:00 pm

I fish there most every week and my Iwana 12 is my go to rod in the Smokies. When my new Ayu comes I'll fish it a lot but you can't beat the Iwana 12 or 11. Do you live close to the park?

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby christianfishn » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:40 am

I made a few trips down there, i live in southern Ohio. Makes a very enjoyable trip. I usually take my 4wt down. Im planning on heading down late march for some backpacking and fishing for a week and want to give Tenkara a try.
christianfishn

Postby narcodog » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:40 pm

I use an 11 ft Iwana, a 12 will work just fine. I have a friend that uses an13 1/2 ft Ayu all of the time.
narcodog

Postby SamEureka » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 pm

I've used my Iwana 12' and my Amago on Abrams Creek (super awesome) and Little River. On two trips to the Smokies, the Iwana was perfect for everything and I ended up not using my Amago at all on the second trip. (The Amago makes my arm tired!)

Abrams Creek Rainbow (caught near the falls)

//Sam
><))))°>
SamEureka

Return to Tenkara Rods