The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

New Ayu series II is now availible.

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: New Ayu series II is now availible.

Postby Adam Trahan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 pm

http://web.archive.org/web/199910121611 ... Trout.html

Check the above link. This is an article that I wrote sometime in the fall of 1999. Take a look at the header of the article, "Sawanobori" for trout. I had learned about Swanabori from Yoshikazu Fujioka, I had meet him online from my web site: smallstreams.com and promoted his web site...

So close...

My second favorite fly rod is a Sage LL 356 (3-weight at five foot six inches) for casting in steep gradient tunnel streams. I was developing the North American Loop Team and promoting simplistic mountain stream fly fishing.

But anyway, I am happy to read your piece on line lengths. Your lines are a little shorter than use, they sound close to "cho-chin" tenkara, short lining...

Anyway, Craig was kind enough to share your interesting piece and I appreciate you writing it.
Adam Trahan

Postby craigthor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Adam Trahan wrote:http://web.archive.org/web/199910121611 ... Trout.html

Interesting piece. Too bad the pictures are not there still.
craigthor

Postby Adam Trahan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:12 pm

http://web.archive.org/web/200004082144 ... shing.html

You might like this one, again from 1999, actually, much earlier.

It is a piece that I wrote about simplifying fly fishing to it's basic components.
Adam Trahan

Postby CuriousLayman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Got my Ayu series II today after originally receiving the old model (which TJ quickly corrected). I love the action. It does seem to be between the Ito and Iwana. It's likely to be my go to rod. As others have said, it is heavy. With the tip plug my weighs a full 4.0 ounces (!). For comparison I have another 13' rod that weighs 2.5 ounces (real tenkara, cork handle and all). Anyway, I prefer the action of the Ayu. And the fit and finish of the Ayu is hands down superior. All in all, a very nice rod with a very nice action.

These are just my initial, backyard impressions. I haven't spent a day fishing it yet.
Mike Barber
CuriousLayman

Postby craigthor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:51 pm

CuriousLayman wrote:Got my Ayu series II today after originally receiving the old model (which TJ quickly corrected). I love the action. It does seem to be between the Ito and Iwana. It's likely to be my go to rod. As others have said, it is heavy. With the tip plug my weighs a full 4.0 ounces (!). For comparison I have another 13' rod that weighs 2.5 ounces (real tenkara, cork handle and all). Anyway, I prefer the action of the Ayu. And the fit and finish of the Ayu is hands down superior. All in all, a very nice rod with a very nice action.

These are just my initial, backyard impressions. I haven't spent a day fishing it yet.

Just curious what your other rod it sounds about like the Shimotsuke Mai.
craigthor

Postby dwalker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 pm

CuriousLayman wrote:Got my Ayu series II today ... It's likely to be my go to rod. As others have said, it is heavy. With the tip plug my weighs a full 4.0 ounces (!). .....

Wow. Not trying to pick on you CL. But this shows how our perspective has changed in 3 years. Three years ago any tenkara rod model was viewed as lightweight. Today an extra .5 oz makes us view a rod as heavy. Maybe this comes with some added familiarity with the sport and time spent casting different models of rods.

For the record my TUSA rods weight: Ito 4.1 oz. Ayu 3.5oz, Iwana12 2.9 oz. Now I like the both the Ito and the Ayu but in some ways I still prefer the Ayu. But I'm not certain if that is because the Ayu weights .6 oz less or some other reason. Maybe overall it's a toss up between the two rods.

I do like the Ito handle a little better than the Ayu handle and sometimes being able to extend the Ito is nice, but I don't like casting it extended for very long. If I recall correctly at the WWFFS, John told me its about even split between people who would like to see the Ito handle on the Ayu and the people who would prefer the Ayu type handle on the Ito.

I like the color of the Ayu II, but since I don't catch that many big fish, and as understand it more backbone for bigger fish was the goal of the new design, I don't think I will be tempted to acquire one. At least not yet. Very cool that the price hasn't gone up too.

I need to go back and read the details. I can't recall if the Ayu II will replace the Ayu. Or if both rods will continue to be available. The Ayu II doesn't really seem to be a refinement of the Ayu but really more like a different rod, that just happens to share the name of an existing model.

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Dwalker,

the original Ayu is discontinued in USA now and replaced by the new Ayu II.

Therefore only the remaining stock of Ayu I at our UK warehouse for those over in europe is available.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby CuriousLayman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:44 am

Dwalker,
You are right about changed perspective. Cast a 4 ounce rod next to a 2.5 ounce rod, back to back (if you haven't already) - the difference is astonishing. Weight is just one aspect though. It wouldn't be my first priority and it isn't TUSAs either apparently. That's fine. As I said, I prefer the action of the heavier Ayu to my lighter 13'. Based on my limited experience with the Ayu, I think Daniel got the action just right.
Mike Barber
CuriousLayman

Postby dwalker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:16 am

TJ @ Tenkara USA wrote:..the original Ayu is discontinued in USA now and replaced by the new Ayu II...
TJ

Thanks TJ
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 am

CuriousLayman wrote:Dwalker,
You are right about changed perspective. .... I prefer the action of the heavier Ayu to my lighter 13'. Based on my limited experience with the Ayu, I think Daniel got the action just right.

I did get to cast the new Ayu II, very briefly at the WSFFS, and my initial impression was that the casting is improved over the previous model.

However, I was only able to cast the rod rigged with short traditional line casting on a dry floor. Their pool of water was too busy with casting demos and I did not have the opportunity to cast in the water. I would agree with you about the casting. My initial impression was that the new rod cast more precisely than the previous design. But, I haven't really fished with my Ayu since last Sept so maybe it just felt nice to cast a tenkara rod again. I'm hoping I will get to attend the summit in May and maybe get a second chance to cast the Ayu II again. In the water and with a longer level line and no worries about hitting the ceiling. If I find it sweet enough I may have to deliver the bad news :shock: to my son that he will have to start paying the bill for his cell phone so I can afford the new rod. ;)
dwalker

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Rods