The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

New Ayu series II is now availible.

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: New Ayu series II is now availible.

Postby rmcworthing » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Had a difficult day on the water today with the new Ayu. A little wind, a little snow, difficult visibility.

I prefer stiffer rods for the additional line control, fly control, and fish control they offer. Last summer, Daniel asked what kind of rod I would like. I replied a 13ft 6:4 or 7:3 is about all I need, something like a stiffer Ayu or a longer Iwana. So I was pretty excited about the concept of the new Ayu when Daniel broke the news. Others must have asked for something similar.

I love the fact that the new Ayu retains the same handle as the original Ayu. I also love the addition of the lillian loop through the rod plug (no need to drill holes anymore).

I'm not sure about the balance of the rod. Today on the water, the Ayu felt tip heavy, taking a bit of work to cast. To put it another way, the balance feels similar to the Amago. A side-by-side comparison with a Japanese rod of similar length and stiffness as the new Ayu seemed to confirm this. The horizontal balance point is almost identical, but the new Ayu carried all of its weight in thicker, shorter distal sections compared to the Japanese rod.

All of the fish I hooked into today were in the mid-teen range. I have no doubts about the new Ayu's ability to handle larger fish.

I'm excited to spend some more time on the water with this rod. It is the closest thing to my own personal ideal for a tenkara rod that TUSA has produced. But if you find the Amago to be too heavy, or feel like the Amago tires your arm out after a day of casting, the new Ayu might not be the answer to your prayers.
rmcworthing

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:56 pm

My Ayu II arrived today.

What a gorgeous rod!

I would say this is the prettiest tenkara rod I have ever seen! I love the reddish look it has as seen in this attached picture. The sun makes it look so sweet!

I immediately ran outside and casted for a few minutes, making nice 25' to 30' casts right away.

Love the feel and elegance of this rod and will be the first rod I use this year once season opens.

TJ
Attachments
Ayu2.JPG
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby GregM » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm

TJ,
Waaaayyyy back in December in your Long Line blog you said -

"Although 12-12-12 is old news as I type this, I did do something on this date that had somethking to do with 12-12-12. On this date I decided to stick with a 12’ tenkara rod using a 12’ line for a period of 12 months before I try to add more length to my line."

So what's with "making nice 25' to 30' casts right away."? And with a 13' rod?
Trying to reach those pockets on the other side of the creek?
Not spooking fish?
Or just some quality assurance checks?

;-)

Greg
Last edited by GregM on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregM

Postby craigthor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:46 pm

GregM wrote:TJ,

"Although 12-12-12 is old news as I type this, I did do something on this date that had somethking to do with 12-12-12. On this date I decided to stick with a 12’ tenkara rod using a 12’ line for a period of 12 months before I try to add more length to my line."

Trying reaching those pockets on the other side of the creek?
Not spooking fish?

;-)

Greg

Hahahaha Greg's here to hold us accountable. :) He got me earlier.
craigthor

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Could not help myself with the new Ayu coming out, so call me Mr. 13-13-13. :lol:

In all seriousness, since I help man the Tenkara USA booth at all the trade shows, it was best I at least periodically practice with longer lines because often in our booth we have various length lines and there has been numerous times no rod length lines were available and I needed to walk a customer out to the casting pools to show them the basic cast, so I had to make do with what I had. This could mean a 15' line or even an 18' line. Rather than take a chance, I do at least string up a longer line just so I can remember what it feels like to be patient for a longer line to load. I am not that patient so nice to at least every now and then cast a longer line just to remember what it feels like.

Anyway, for day to day practice or actual use on the water, I am Mr 12-12-12, or 13-13- :twisted: .

I match main line length to rod length plus 3' to 5' tippet.

Therefore when using an Iwana I am at 12' + 12" Level Line + 4' Tippet. Therefore I am casting someplace between 20' and 24' depending on how much I want to keep my arm at my side or reach out and lay the line out if my local fish are not spooked.

When I run 13' rods like the Ito or new Ayu II, I use 13' Level Line + 4' Tippet and therefore my casts are at about 23' to 26' range depending again on how I use my arm and body to reach further if need be.

Now for practice I did try a 15' and 18' plus 4" tippet today just to see how it went. I could not help myself. :mrgreen:

I take it you cast the same 20' to 26' range when using an 12' or 13' rod with 4' tippet and use of your body? I believe that is about the norm most would be striving for.

For me I feel my practice needs to be for casts where I need to be 25' or less and that is mostly what I fish and work on. I am not much into long casting but feel someplace between 20' and 25' distance is that sweet spot for trout that I go after.

TJ

GregM wrote:TJ,

Trying to reach those pockets on the other side of the creek?
Not spooking fish?

;-)

Greg

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby GregM » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Well, OK. If that 25' feet includes your rod length I guess you're still abiding with 12-12-12.

g.
GregM

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:35 pm

GregM wrote:Well, OK. If that 25' feet includes your rod length I guess you're still abiding with 12-12-12.

g.

Um, of course.

Unless I am just the 1% instead of the 99%, I always thought casting distance was from person to fly, not the end of my rod to fly.

Am I the only one that measures person to fly?

Maybe I am the 1% if that is the case.

To me it makes sense to be point a to point b, me being a and where the fly land point b.

Tell me if I am wrong on that?

Let me put it this way... all the fly fishing shows I have attended the first ring for casting distance was at 25' and the 2nd was at 30', and then they have 2 to 3 more down the line for up to 60' casts.

The one marked 25' was from the end of the casting podium to the middle of that 1st ring.

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby GregM » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 pm

I know nothing. Haven't been fishing long enough to know what is standard.

So if that's how it's done it's fine with me.

g.
GregM

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 pm

GregM wrote:I know nothing. Haven't been fishing long enough to know what is standard.

So if that's how it's done it's fine with me.

g.

The way I look at it, if you can reach the fish, it is long enough. :twisted: :twisted:

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby tsegelke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 pm

No need to be defensive TJ. I will be spending a lot of time on the American and the creeks around your neck of the woods early in the season to see if you are sticking to it though. :lol:

Can't wait for the season to open, and hope to see all on the waters.
tsegelke

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Rods