The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Ebisu

Discussion on tenkara rods

Ebisu

Postby tsegelke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm

I wanted to get some input on the Ebisu. It seems to be the rod that is not talked about much. I have liked softer rods in my past, and like the soft feel of the Ito, but am looking for a rod that is a little lighter to work some medium to small waters.

I am thinking of the Ebisu, and the Ayu (if not discontinued).

Thanks for any insights.
tsegelke

Re: Ebisu

Postby craigthor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:29 pm

What do you want to know. Definitely softer then the Ito and casts a #3 level line perfectly. Could probably even go lower level lines as well. I love the wood handles and it has a great feel in hand.
craigthor

Postby Anthony » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:31 am

I've fished most of the TUSA rods and I love the Ebisu. I just think it has a great balance of "feel" and flex. It give's me a tactile casting feedback that I like. The wood handle is cool. Like craigthor says it casts light lines very well. I fish it with level line nylon mono - light and more floatable than fluorocarbon.

It was my first tenkara rod -so I may be a bit bias - but I love the ebisu.

After answering your question - I'm thinking I should buy another one or two now.

I would say though that the Ebisu can tend to feel a little tip heavy - the Iwana and especially with the 11-ft handle will feel quite a bit lighter in the hand. Though of course with the Iwana you're not getting that Ebisu softness.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby tsegelke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 pm

The Ito gets to feel tip heavy for me too, but I like it's smoothness. Glad to hear the good news, and think I will have to get a late Christmas Present for myself. If I return a couple of ugly ties and/or sweaters; that should take care of it.
tsegelke

Return to Tenkara Rods