The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Advice on new TUSA rod

Discussion on tenkara rods

Advice on new TUSA rod

Postby MadBadger » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:20 am

I currently own I TUSA rod an Iwana 12' (my first and only Tenkara rod so far). I'm going to get a second rod in the next few weeks. In the last six months I've been introduced, through books and blogs to the techniques and benefits of nymph fishing. So, I've been thinking about a stiffer rod for nymphing. However, I've been having second thoughts about whether any of the TUSA rods will work well for weighted nymphing. So, my question is, which TUSA rod would be good for weighted nymphing - Amago or Yamame?

Or should I stick with my western fly gear for weighted nymphing and pick up the newer Ito for more traditional Tenakara technigues to complement my Iwana 12'?
Sato, 12' Iwana & 13'6" Amago
MadBadger

Re: Advice on new TUSA rod

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 pm

I personally would pick getting the Ito for and fish it with traditional kebari and use your western fly rod for nymph fishing. However having fished the Ito and in the process of purchasing one myself, I think it will quickly push out your western fly rods and the use of nymphs. I watched Daniel himself fish with the Ito for hours on a stream and I thought it would best suited for a shorter length rod. He would put that kebari in places I never thought it would fit and was very impressed. So I vote Ito.

However if you absolutely want a tenkara rod to fish with nymphs I know of a lot of people who fish the Amago and Yaname both, with great results. Before I would say look at your cover but know I say go with the longest rod you can get because you can always shorten the level line or adjust your cast. Unless of course you are fishing the smallest of streams. Anyway that is my thoughts on the issue, hope you find something helpful in there somewhere lol.
Tenkara Elevated

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi MadBadger,

I would look at the Yamame or Amago if you want to use slightly weight nymphs. Both rods offer nice backbone and like Tenkara Elevated noted, others have used these two models for just that and have had success.

TJ
Tenkara USA
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby jd_smith » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:30 pm

The Amago or the Yamame would be the two best TUSA rod choices for nymph fishing. However the 12' Iwana works pretty damn good too. If the streams and creeks you frequent have the room to fish with the Amago and you want or need the extra 1.5' length, I would go that route. If you fish in areas that are narrower or have a bit more cover the Amago might be too long and you will want to go with the Yamame. Nymph fishing is usually most effective and most often done fairly close to your position so the shorter 12' Yamame is plenty long enough and will offer more versatility to your day. Of course just my opinion here.

I've owned all of the TUSA rod's at one time or another and still own all but the Ayu and Yamame, and I also own a myriad of others as well. The Ito is one of last rod's of all I've tried that I would use for Nymph fishing. It's too soft. It's a nice rod for kebari and traditional tenkara but not nymphs. Given the question you've raised about a good rod for nymphing, and the fact that you already own the 12' Iwana that also fishes kebari very well, I think for HwnstyleBC to suggest the Ito as the rod of choice, he's missing the point of your question. So just to clarify, do not buy the Ito for nymphing. Again, just my opinion.

JD
Last edited by jd_smith on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby narcodog » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:48 pm

I fish the Amago quite often with nymphs both weighted, with beads and s/h's. For the rods I have fished with it is the most versatile.
narcodog

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Pretty much what HwnstyleBC said. I would go with the Amago, unless you feel you don't have enough room to maneuver it. Longer rods give better line control weather you are fishing weighted nymphs or traditional kebari. Plus, since you already have a 12' rod in the Iwana you'd have a chance to see just how much of an advantage the longer rod is or isn't for yourself.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby GregM » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:58 pm

"Nymphing" covers a lot of territory.

If you are talking about "micro nymphing", a Zebra Midge and a Hare's Ear, the Amago will work.

It will work for short line "Czech style" where you are lobbing heavy flies round-house style.

But if you are talking about a couple of Czech nymphs in the half to one gram range, I find the Amago to soft in the tip sections. It gets the job done, but it isn't pretty, especially with the longer line of the Spanish and French styles.

Also, a rod tip can only handle a limited number of bead-head impacts. Good casting matters.
(Don't ask me how I know.)

[Warning: Only been fishing for a year, and throwing "heavies" for a few months. Adjust accordingly.]
GregM

Postby tntom » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:54 pm

A tenkara rod is the best nymphing tool I have ever used. For small to med sized water I use my Iwana 12, 8' of level line and 3' or 4' tippet. Keep a tight line and you can feel a strike from a small fish. I was taught this technique by a local guide that fishes Tenkara and have caught a lot of fish with it. If I were going to fish bigger water O would go to my Amago. The Amago would most likely be a better rod even for small water I just love my Iwana 12.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby rsetina » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Typically you would want a long rod for nymphing, if you were using a western rod. With this in mind, I'd opt for the Amago since you get an extra foot and a half of length.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby MadBadger » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Sorry for the slow response, I've been sick. I'm leaning toward the Amago and still mulling it over.
Sato, 12' Iwana & 13'6" Amago
MadBadger

Return to Tenkara Rods