The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Iwana Question

Discussion on tenkara rods

Iwana Question

Postby williamhj » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm getting ready to order my first Tenkara rod. I've had my eye on the 12' Iwana, especially for our Front Range creeks here in CO. The deal on the 11'er is hard to pass up. I'm wondering if there's much difference between the 11 and 12' rods to warrant skipping the deal and getting the 12' one. Fishing my 12' 3wt fly rod, I know sometimes a bit of extra length can make the difference, am not sure if it matters as much with a Tenkara rod. Beginner question! Thanks.
williamhj

Re: Iwana Question

Postby tsegelke » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 pm

In Tenkara the extra foot can make all the difference.

I find I am always looking to fish the longest rod I can for the water I am covering. The extra length helps in line control, drift control, and casting.

I have fished some pretty small water, and I love the 12' Iwana. I have yet to find water where I was looking for a shorter rod.
tsegelke

Postby williamhj » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks for the fast reply.
williamhj

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:45 am

Really this should be a no brainer. I promise you will be just fine using the 11 foot rod, and if you want a 12 foot rod stick your arm out farther lol. I mean I have fished a lot of places with my 11 foot iwana and have wished for a shorter rod. I even purchased one of the handles that make it 9'4. This one stream I fish has a canopy over almost the entire stream that is about eight to night feet high. It takes fishing on my knees with a bow and arrow cast to hit most pockets. Some will say why bother and my answer is because there are fish to catch there and I wanted to. Anyway for the price I would recommend getting the 11' Iwana, simply because it is a great and fun rod. Okay stepping off the soap box.
Tenkara Elevated

Postby narcodog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 am

I also have an 11 footer and like it very well. If you need a longer rod just move to a different location to make your cast. There have been times I would have liked a shorter rod and a few times a longer but the 11 footer will do you just fine. IMO
narcodog

Return to Tenkara Rods