The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Kawa Prototype thoughts

Discussion on tenkara rods

Kawa Prototype thoughts

Postby docdinh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:26 pm

I really like this rod!
I was surprised because I told myself I wanted a stiffer ITO and the Kawa is more like a softer lighter ITO or a zoom AYU.
It feels amazingly light in the hand, I figure having the extender segments locked in the handle helps balance the rod at 12 feet. At 6:5, It has pinpoint accuracy. I was really surprised at how briskly it cast kebaris into the strike zone.
Once you switch to 13 feet or 15 feet (14' 7") it becomes a 5:5 and one must change one's casting stroke or else the line ends up in a pile at your feet or rather just below the rod tip. It's a little embarassing.
On a bigger river like the Middle section of the Provo, I wish it cast at 15' like it does at 12'. Every now and again I would get the groove however and could get a small fly + 20 feet of line to lay out perfectly. (not sure exactly how I did it though)
BIG fish have been moving up below the dam where I was test driving the Kawa and the size 8 black kebari that Daniel included with the rod attracted some big browns.
Once again I was surprised because I normally don't do as well with the standard size 12 kebari that many people advocate. I find a smaller 14 works better for me on most of the rivers I fish (some smaller fish miss the size 12 in my experience).
I decided to fish the big kebari after reading Daniel's post about liberal versus conservative kebari and launched the mega fly into a riffle using the fast water to help push the fly to the bottom and about half way done the run it just stopped dead. I lifted the kawa too slowly and with too light a touch - the rod dramatically arched from the tip to the top third and the line didn't budge for a moment - then it started casually swimming up to the head of the run - it was a huge fish, but I couldn't move it and it spit the hook.
That being said, the Kawa later surprised me as I hooked into two more big fish - a 20 inch white fish and a 20 inch brown. I set the hook more swiftly and the rod nearly bent in half both times, down into the butt section and I felt like the very light rod might slip out of my hands, but the tippet never snapped and both fish were coaxed (or annoyed using side pressure) into swimming into calmer water closer to my feet.
These have been some of the biggest fish I've hooked on the middle provo and it was exhilarating to fight them on tenkara.
I was using the 20 foot hi viz pink line that Daniel sent me - not sure if it is a size 3 or 3.5 or 4, but it seemed lighter than my other level line which is 4.5.
Some other fisherman witnessed me fighting fish with the Kawa and they described it as "elegant" and "unbelievable". My friend, Jac, an old timer, went out and ordered a Tenkara rod (Amago) because he saw how much fun I was having.

My final impressions:
Very light in hand
A little long when collapsed (it's longer than the ITO collapsed)
Pin Point casting at 12 feet
Too slow for my inexperienced casting at 13 and 15 feet - but will keep practicing
Must set the hook more dramatically than I'm used to, or risk losing fish.
Is very fun on 8-15 inch fish
Is a butt clencher on 20 inch + fish and yet capable of landing them (I have found landing this size fish on the Ito much easier, though still a challenge)

I know this prototype rod may never be released to the public, but I like the double zoom function and especially how balanced the rod feels at 12 feet - would love a rod that feels that way at 15 feet (or 14' 7 "). I would fish this rod anyplace you would fish split cane as it handles very similarly.
docdinh

Re: Kawa Prototype thoughts

Postby docdinh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:35 pm

pic of the Kawa package
Attachments
photo.JPG
docdinh

Postby dwalker » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:54 pm

docdinh wrote:pic of the Kawa package

:? How did you happen to get your hands on a triple zoom, dual flex profile prototype Tenkara rod?

Any pics of the handle/grip?

Seems I've seen some triple zoom rods on Japanese web sites, but I don't think they were tenkara rods. Its been a while since I saw them.

Thanks for posting.

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby craigthor » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:30 am

dwalker wrote:
docdinh wrote:pic of the Kawa package

:? How did you happen to get your hands on a triple zoom, dual flex profile prototype Tenkara rod?

Any pics of the handle/grip?

Seems I've seen some triple zoom rods on Japanese web sites, but I don't think they were tenkara rods. Its been a while since I saw them.

Thanks for posting.

D

Pretty positive this was from the TUSA Sandy Relief Auction that Daniel held a bit back. I was wondering how this rod was going to fish. Many thanks for the report and the update.

Craig
craigthor

Postby tsegelke » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:48 am

Interesting report. Thanks for sharing.

I prefer softer rods, so I am really looking forward to trying this one out. I like the Ito, but it's weight gets tiring on a long day. This one sounds like it casts more like 5:5 and is a little lighter.

I love all my rods, just don't get to fish often enough to use them all as much as I would like.
tsegelke

Postby docdinh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Yes, it feels much lighter than the Ito at both the 12 foot length - 13 foot and 14' 7" but especially at 12 feet. Not sure if it is actually lighter or just better balanced. I would say it casts much more accurately also.
But, you can't really muscle fish - you have to kind of point them in the direction you hope they'll swim which is fun in and of itself.

- An
docdinh

Re: Kawa Prototype handle picture

Postby docdinh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 pm

here is another picture of the handle
Attachments
kawa1.jpg
docdinh

Return to Tenkara Rods