The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

new to tenkara and have a rod question

Discussion on tenkara rods

new to tenkara and have a rod question

Postby jmeti000@yahoo.com » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Hey everyone...Ive been fly fishing all my life and a while ago just happened to read an article about tenkara. So, as luck would have it I wandered into an antiques store I frequent and the guy asked me if I new about this rod. I told him I knew the type of fishing, but couldnt even begin to offer a price for the rod set since I didnt wanna either insult the owner or screw my bank account. He piped up and said for $20 I could have it...so I thought "what the heck" and walked out with it. Sooooo, I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide a little more input on this set. Possibly a rough estimate of manufacture (im guessing 40's-50's?) and any other little tid bits that might help.

Thanks,
me :D

jmeti000@yahoo.com

Re: new to tenkara and have a rod question

Postby scorpion1971 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:50 pm

I can tell you this is not a Tenkara rod. It is some sort of bait fishing rod. I can tell this because of the float and shot in the kit.
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Postby Berner9 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Id say it could be a Tenkara rod. Id guess who every had it didn't know what it was and had some weights in the box. It looks like it has a Lilian.
Berner9

Postby jmeti000@yahoo.com » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:25 pm

If by "Lilian" you mean the little loop thingy at the tip of the last section, yes it does have that. You cant see it very well from the pics because of the angle but trust me, its there.
jmeti000@yahoo.com

Postby narcodog » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:39 pm

My guess is that it is a post WWII rod. After the war there were a lot of rods of different brought back by GI's. There are a lot of fly rods that you see on Ebay that are really not worth much,$25.00 to $60.00 depending on the condition. I suspect that your rod is one of those. Fish it and have fun...
narcodog

Postby Tenkara Guides » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:41 pm

It is most likely a keiryu rod. They are similar to tenkara rods. It is a style of stream bait fishing. It may also be an ayu fishing rod. It looks like the fishing kits that were popular durning and after the US Occupation Forces were in Japan after WWII. They were very popular gifts/souvenirs of US servicemen during that time.

There are also Seiryu rods that are yet another method of fixed line stream fishing. All of these types of fixed line fishing rods use the lillian line attachment system.

I'll forward this to Eddie in Japan and see if he has any insights for you.

John
Tenkara Guides

Postby jmeti000@yahoo.com » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Wow.. tenkara, keiryu, and seiryu rods...I should have just stuck to plain ol fly rods lol. Anyways, thanks for all the info and for forwarding it to your source. Look forward to the findings and ya'all have a good night.
jmeti000@yahoo.com

Postby dwalker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Wow, cool find. No law says you can't tenkara fish with it if the rod's action will cast a line and fly.

The lillian does appear to have a loop in it, which I think indicates it is something other than a tenkara rod. Maybe it a $20 rod. Maybe worth a good deal more. Eddie will probably offer a accurate assessment. The makers stamp on the rod will probably be helpful in identifying the rod.

Below is a link to bamboo tenkara rod youtube video, from a Japanese guy living in Calif. The description to the video says the rod is stamped as a tenkara rod that was made in 1948/49. It has 10 pieces and is 10 ft long. Perhaps you could contact him for an opinion on your rod too.

This is the 2nd of two videos on this rod,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXHvDS-Rmfw&feature=fvwrel

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Eddie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:41 am

Hi John,

That rod looks like a bait keiryu rod because the taper of the rod seems faster than those of tenkara rods.

The burned brand name reads "東金". The brand name 東金 and the name of its builder "川村金太郎" are shown on the left most line of the following page (page 100).

"http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=udzHcNlW4NwC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=%E6%9D%B1%E9%87%91%E3%80%80%E5%92%8C%E7%AB%BF&source=bl&ots=jooHo3XH9P&sig=xLS93SmVgdJ6W6GrsOWOqu8PH7M&hl=ja&sa=X&ei=cjCqUPCVNciZiAfDo4GYCA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false"

This book shows many rods, burned brands, and builders.

Also on the 8th line from the left most line of the upper column of the following page (page 96) is shown the brand name "東金".
"http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=Js8DXwXfB-8C&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=%E6%9D%B1%E9%87%91%E3%80%80%E5%92%8C%E7%AB%BF&source=bl&ots=XCHSpQaxVs&sig=FmVR_9uo413sEXKvtLcgvwTNYNo&hl=ja&sa=X&ei=cjCqUPCVNciZiAfDo4GYCA&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false"

This book shows many rods in addition to the brand name and builders.

Eddie
Eddie

Postby dwalker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks Eddie,

Fun stuff to look at even if I can't read it most of it, 99.8% .
:)
D

I made the links directly click-able.

Eddie wrote:..That rod looks like a bait keiryu rod because the taper of the rod.... The brand name 東金 and the name of its builder "川村金太郎" are shown on the left most line of the following page (page 100).

http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=udzHcNlW4NwC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=%E6%9D%B1%E9%87%91%E3%80%80%E5%92%8C%E7%AB%BF&source=bl&ots=jooHo3XH9P&sig=xLS93SmVgdJ6W6GrsOWOqu8PH7M&hl=ja&sa=X&ei=cjCqUPCVNciZiAfDo4GYCA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Eddie wrote:...This book shows many rods, burned brands, and builders.

Also on the 8th line from the left most line of the upper column of the following page (page 96) is shown the brand name "東金".

This book shows many rods in addition to the brand name and builders.

Eddie

http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=Js8DXwXfB-8C&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=%E6%9D%B1%E9%87%91%E3%80%80%E5%92%8C%E7%AB%BF&source=bl&ots=XCHSpQaxVs&sig=FmVR_9uo413sEXKvtLcgvwTNYNo&hl=ja&sa=X&ei=cjCqUPCVNciZiAfDo4GYCA&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods