The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

another tip to avoid a broken rod

Discussion on tenkara rods

another tip to avoid a broken rod

Postby CraigP » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 am

I was in the fly shop just before last weekend and and interesting discussion took place that has some relevance and key learnings. A chap was in getting a replacement for brand new rod he'd broken. When they took him outside to test some loaner rods while a replacement was ordered, they noticed two things. These are the topic of this post. The gear was western mulitpiece rods, but it has direct translation to tenkara telescopic rods as well.
(1) he didn't twist and lock the sections when putting the rod together so the rod sections were properly seated. in fact, one section came off when casting a test rod
(2) his casting style was abrupt and jerky (didn't let the line go out before moving the rod forward).
combine the two, and you have recipe for failure. but even just the first could be enough to overstress a rod.
we all get told about how to open or close the rods. we all get told to twist the sections of multi piece western rods when pulliing them apart to break down. no one seems to emphasise the importance of seating the sections (multipiece western or telescopic tenkara) properly when assembling the rod.
it is important to seat all the sections in snugly. because, a section that is loose means there is movement when it is stressed (ie bent during casting, a fish, or pulling a snag) and this is the best way to break a rod at the join. A rod gets its strength when all the sections are properly seated, snugly, with no movement, so it transfers the load (even a dynamic one like a fish) smoothly along its length. a loose joint concentrates load that point. Think of it - the wall of the rod tubes are very thin. 3-4 sections of rod is about 2m of leverage concentrated at the 0.2mm touch point of that loose join in a thin walled tube - not good. multipiece and telescopic rods get strength from becoming one (kind of zen like), to transfer the load over the rod, not concentrate in a point at the join.

I was fishing the next day with my tenkara rod(s), and the conversation I'd had in the previous 24 hours came to mind when I was extending my rod for a run. It is just as relevant - one needs to make sure that the tenkara sections are extended and snugly locked. particular attention is needed for the 2nd-3rd, down to 4th-5th joints. these are the critical points for carrying the loads and distributing it along the rod for a smooth loading.

hope this is useful.
craig
CraigP

Re: another tip to avoid a broken rod

Postby tsegelke » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:28 pm

Interesting points. A great reminder that sometimes a few extra moments of preparation can save a whole trip.
tsegelke

Re: another tip to avoid a broken rod

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 pm

Excellent points Craig. Thank you for posting these here. Hope people will read it.
YES, it is very important to make sure the segments are snug and fit as they are supposed to.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to Tenkara Rods