The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Cleaning an Ito

Discussion on tenkara rods

Cleaning an Ito

Postby tsegelke » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:25 pm

It's been far too long, but this evening I cleaned the pieces of my Ito for the first time. I found that I was unable to remove the last piece. Is this part of the design of the Ito, or is there a step I'm missing?

Thanks
tsegelke

Re: Cleaning an Ito

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:49 pm

If you mean the first section after the handle on the Ito, it does seem to have a decided bulge to it. On most of the ones I've handled, it's tougher to get out but not impossible. I don't want you to break your rod but try giving it a little more pressure than you normally would. It is possible that you have some grit trapped it, that coupled with the already tighter fit is making the section very hard to get out. I hope this helps, and kudos to you for cleaning your rod!
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby tsegelke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:08 am

Thanks, it's the extending piece I am talking about. I'll look at it again, but it doesn't appear to come out.
tsegelke

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:14 am

A simple twist as you are pulling the segment marked 13' from the backside of the handle is all you need.

If you are trying to pull straight out without twisting, it suctions on there pretty good. Did the same for me the 1st time I cleaned my Ito.

So as you pull that last large segment out of the handle, twist as you pull out and it should poop right out.

;)

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby tsegelke » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 am

Thanks all. It turned out I was just being too gentle.
tsegelke

Return to Tenkara Rods