The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Amago handle question

Discussion on tenkara rods

Amago handle question

Postby jdchaussee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:55 pm

I appologize if this question has already been asked (I tried to look first), but are the new style amago handles compatible with the first generation amago? (the one with the skinny/straight grip with the bulb at the end) Thanks :-)
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
**Instagram: Tenkaraholic**
jdchaussee

Re: Amago handle question

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Yes, absolutely. The new handles are compatible and I'll try making those available shortly if anyone wants to upgrade theirs.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jdchaussee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:42 pm

[quote="Daniel @ Tenkara USA"]Yes, absolutely. The new handles are compatible and I'll try making those available shortly if anyone wants to upgrade theirs.[/quo

Awesome, thanks Daniel! I would love to upgrade the handle on mine when they become available. No rush tho :-)
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
jdchaussee

Postby Jason Klass » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:00 am

jdchaussee wrote:
Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:Yes, absolutely. The new handles are compatible and I'll try making those available shortly if anyone wants to upgrade theirs.[/quo

Awesome, thanks Daniel! I would love to upgrade the handle on mine when they become available. No rush tho :-)

Me too! I fished my Amago last weekend (with the old handle) and forgot how thin the old grip was. I'll be upgrading when they're available. :)
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby pechelman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:11 pm

to chime in and give a quick comparison

i really dig both handles

being a guy who fishes with the rod butt in the palm of my hand 95% of the time, i generally prefer the old handle as its thicker in the butt section than the new handle. it is thicker at both the bulbous end and in the slightly necked down portion. Its a really great shape imo and i dont know why it got\gets so much flack. Im guessing im an oddity in how I hold a tenkara rod?

for holding up on the grip, the old amago has what seems to be the same average diameter as the new handle, but since its straight, it feels a little thinner. the new handle in that regard would be my preferred choice for fishign with a higher choked up grip.

edit
jason, i could be convinced to trade my new handle for your old one
hit me up if you're interested
pechelman

Postby jdchaussee » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:16 pm

pechelman wrote:to chime in and give a quick comparison

i really dig both handles

being a guy who fishes with the rod butt in the palm of my hand 95% of the time, i generally prefer the old handle as its thicker in the butt section than the new handle. it is thicker at both the bulbous end and in the slightly necked down portion. Its a really great shape imo and i dont know why it got\gets so much flack. Im guessing im an oddity in how I hold a tenkara rod?

for holding up on the grip, the old amago has what seems to be the same average diameter as the new handle, but since its straight, it feels a little thinner. the new handle in that regard would be my preferred choice for fishign with a higher choked up grip.

edit
jason, i could be convinced to trade my new handle for your old one
hit me up if you're interested

I've been fishing with the old handle since the amago was introduced and while I dont have any major problems with it, it does tend to cramp the hand after hours of fishing. I dont know how big/small your hands are, but I am a very large man with hands like a gorilla lol. The straight profile of the old handle gets uncomfortable and I find myself switching hands often.

Now to compare it with the handle of the yamame (which is my other rod), I find that handle much more comfortable and I can fish it in the same hand all day without my hand cramping or falling asleep. The yamame handle is thicker and has a more "hourglass" shape which I find accomodates my large hands much better then the old amago handle. The new amago handle seems to have a similar shape to the yamame (that hourglass shape) which contours to my large hand much better.

Just my $0.02
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
jdchaussee

Postby pechelman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:53 am

jd, absolutely, I guess thats what i was saying. (except for the bit about hand size, which is an excellent point)

If you hold the rod up on the grip, in the new hour glass\old straight section, the new handle is the way to go. If I held the rod up there at all for any length of time, mine would have been wrapped with something by now.

but, if you hold the rod so the butt is in the palm of your hand, like daniel had instructed a group of us to do earlier this summer, the old handle is the way to go imo, since its a slightly thicker more rounded profile compared to the new handle. I find the old handle significantly more comfortable to hold in this position.

either way, just wanted to give the old handle some internet love, and to clarify the thickness comment from Jason, since the old handle is actually thicker in the butt (haha!), where it matters for me and possibly some other folks (HA!).
pechelman

Postby jdchaussee » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:51 am

pechelman wrote:jd, absolutely, I guess thats what i was saying. (except for the bit about hand size, which is an excellent point)

If you hold the rod up on the grip, in the new hour glass\old straight section, the new handle is the way to go. If I held the rod up there at all for any length of time, mine would have been wrapped with something by now.

but, if you hold the rod so the butt is in the palm of your hand, like daniel had instructed a group of us to do earlier this summer, the old handle is the way to go imo, since its a slightly thicker more rounded profile compared to the new handle. I find the old handle significantly more comfortable to hold in this position.

either way, just wanted to give the old handle some internet love, and to clarify the thickness comment from Jason, since the old handle is actually thicker in the butt (haha!), where it matters for me and possibly some other folks (HA!).

Lol. I feel a sir mix a lot joke is in order... :-D

I will have to try holding the rod by the bulb next time. I tend to naturally hold the rod so the bulb is in the inside of my wrist.
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
jdchaussee

Postby Karl Klavon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:06 am

I have the old style grip on my Amago rod, which I modified to make it more comfortable for me to use and give 3 more comfortable grip positions: 1. with your first finger on the rod blank for choking up for a shorter rod length and for bracing the grip against your forearm in fighting fish; 2. with the heel of your hand in the depression right in front of the bulge; and 3. with the bulge held in the palm of your hand.

I did this by sanding and filing down the cork and winding check at the front of the grip to the point that I reduced the diameter of the metal winding check considerably, and deepening the depression in front of the bulge gave the grip a head of it more of a cigar shaped contour, and a more secure hold with the swell held in the palm of my hand. In glove sizes I take a large to an extra-large, depending on glove maker and brand, so I do not have a small hand.

If you want to see a picture of what my modified rod grip looks like, go to the Your Tenkara Experiences Board and click on the heading - A Big lake Brown Trout Taken on an Amago Rod. The rod grip is pictured beside the fish there. If you click on the photo, you can see an enlargement of the picture for a better view. I am sorry but the fish splashed sand and mud on the grip, but I believe you can easily see it is a considerable departure from the old straight cylinder shaped fore grip. http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3811

I found this modification so comfortable that I later reduced the maximum swell diameter on my 12 foot long Iwana rod grip as well to make the two rods more compatible in their feel and contours. Consistency helps in casting accuracy when trading back and forth between different rods. You do not have to remove very much material to make a huge difference in feel. You can use a compass for drawing circles as a protractor to gauge the to be reduced diameter against a grip on another rod that you find to be comfortable as you do your sanding.

If you are going to replace your Amago rod handle section anyway, what do you have to loose by modifying it? I was going to replace mine but since the modification I have lost the desire to do so. It might work out similarly for you as well.
Karl Klavon

Return to Tenkara Rods