The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Help with buying tenkara rod for my wife

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: Help with buying tenkara rod for my wife

Postby masjc1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:55 pm

My wife uses the 11' Iwana. She loves it.
Mark

"I have laid aside business and gone a fishing"

Izaak Walton
masjc1

Postby achilles38 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks for all the tips on rods to pick, and especially for the offers to help us find good fishing on our trip next summer. I'm basically stuck between the Ayu and 12' Iwana. She'll get a little extra length with the Ayu and softer action, but the Iwana might be better since it's a little shorter and will probably give her less fatigue on a long day fishing. I guess I've got some thinking to do soon so I can get the rod here before Christmas. Coolest thing is she wants to start tying flies together now that she is getting into tenkara. Seeing all the flies you guys tie has gotten her excited to create some of our own. We'll see how that goes, should be fun.
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:33 am

My girlfriend also uses the 12' Iwana and very petite, as well. Tough to go wrong with the 12' Iwana for just about anybody. If you want to go shorter/lighter you can buy the shorter handles. I got Mary an 11' foot handle, but we haven't got a chance to use it yet; maybe this weekend.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby achilles38 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:08 pm

thanks for all the advice. I saw the sale on the Iwana and just purchased a 12' Iwana, fits perfectly in our budget right now. I'll have to buy the handle shorterner at a later date, but at least my wife's got a tenkara rod now and she'll be ecstatic at Christmas. :D
Jeremy
achilles38

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods