The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Help with buying tenkara rod for my wife

Discussion on tenkara rods

Help with buying tenkara rod for my wife

Postby achilles38 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:25 pm

My wife has really bought into tenkara and already liked fishing and camping. She loves nature and being outdoors, and our 3 kids are the exact same. I couldn't be happier with their decisions. She has used my Amago several times, but its a little heavy for her to cast after a little while, and she really has no use for such a large rod. She has also used my Fountainhead 330, which is 5;5 and really light, but it not even close to the quality of a TUSA rod. I want to purchase one for her for Christmas so she can use it this spring and summer, as we're planning on taking several family fishing trips, including a 3 week road trip through UT, WY, MT, ID, OR, and back to CA this summer. Any suggestions on which rod to get her? She is small and petite (5'2"). Doesn't care about catching big fish, just wants to be out in nature fishing and catching anything. We predominantly fish trout in mountain creeks (Eastern Sierras, S. CA mtn creeks), but occasionally will fish for bluegill in nearby man-made lakes. She has been using my 5wt fly rod for much of this past summer, but prefers the feel of the tenkara rods and its sensitivity. I only have tenkara experience with my Amago and fountainhead, and that's only been since last March, so I really have no clue what type to get. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

*edit: I'm only interested in buying a TUSA rod because of the quality of the product, incredible customer service, and they got me started on this tenkara journey so I feel a certain loyalty to TUSA and Daniel for bringing such a beautiful thing to us.
Last edited by achilles38 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
achilles38

Re: Help with buying tenkara rod for my wife

Postby CuriousLayman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:36 pm

If you want a really light rod, the 11' Iwana is great. My wife and I love ours. Our streams are fairly tight so we often use the 11'. But the longest rod you can get away with is the best idea. I have had both the Amago and the Ito. The Ito (in 13' mode) is significantly less tip heavy than the Iwana, and therefore less tiring to cast in my opinion.

I hear what you are saying about the quality. I have one non-TUSA rod because it's length vs action vs weight fit a niche not currently covered by TUSA. But hands down the quality of my TUSA rods (I own several) are superior.

In short:
Tight streams - 11' Iwana
Open streams - Ito

My two cents.
Mike Barber
CuriousLayman

Postby tejplunkett » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Jeremy,
Best advice? Skip Idaho! With all the forest, desert fires this year, all fishing SUCKS!! And probably will for the next year or two. Ash and soot are all over and running in currents down all rivers and the lakes and ponds are too hot and dry and slimy!
tejplunkett

Postby adventureR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:03 pm

tejplunkett you should come visit me in Tenn. We'll hook some fish Kayak Tenkara style. The fishing sounds horrible there. And now the sky is even falling. I thought litter was bad when I go out fishing, geeezzz. I feel for ya,

Ayu rod Jeremy, Don't tell anyone!
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 am

I would go with the 11' Iwana because it is one of the best rods for small streams and bluegill. If you do make it to Utah give me a shout I will put you into a few streams not overcrowded with camping and beautiful rainbows perfect for the Iwana and at no charge. If you really want to have some fun get the second handle that converts it into the 9'4 rod, you can get into some really tight cover with this rod and its casting action is very crisp. Also a great choice for shorter people because my 4 year old uses it all the time.
Tenkara Elevated

Postby erik.ostrander » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:01 am

For the west, a longer rod is usually better. Even on some of the tightest streams a 13' rod is not too long. I recommend the 12' Iwana. 11' is just too short, and we have found no need for a 9'4" rod in Utah. There are too many good streams here to put yourself through a brushy suffer-fest! Just drive somewhere else to good water. A 12' rod will also work in the Sierra Mtns. wonderfully.

We fish all over UT, and are usually in the know about a whole bunch of good water. I'm always happy to talk tenkara with anyone. Call anytime.
erik.ostrander

Postby caveyeti » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:22 am

No disrespect to tejplunkett but Idaho fishing has been just as good this year as ever. I fish ID waters every week and have been slaying it this year. Even with some pretty good size wild fires this year all of my trips have been successful. There are a couple rivers that will have issues this winter into next year with run off silt out of the fire zones but that is only a couple of the hundreds of options. Alpine lakes are in great shape. My week long backpacking and fishing trip last month brought on average 50-60 fish to hand per day and that was about 10 miles from the largest fire we had going this year. Last week was fishing for Kokanee salmon with Tenkara gear, plenty of fish to hand. By next summer things and the possible fires that will burn then will have nothing to do with conditions now but the fishing is great from one side of the state to the other at the moment. To be honest I think Idaho has been the most consistent of the 4 states I have fished this year...not that any of them were bad fishing...and I do fish here in ID the most ;)

I would put a 11' Iwana in her hands regarding rods. Light and well balanced. I think the Ito would be uncomfortable after very long....it is for me after a few hours of fishing...the balance and length make it better for more experienced Tenkara anglers IMO. I think the 11' possibly even the 12' would be the best choice for a lady out of the T-USA Rods.
caveyeti

Postby Jason Klass » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Another vote for the 12 ft. Iwana. That's what my wife uses and she's also petite.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby CuriousLayman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:03 pm

Oops. I said above that the Ito was less tip heavy than the Iwana. I meant to compare the Ito to the Amago, since you had experience with the Amago. It would be hard to go wrong with the 12' Iwana frankly. Even if you picked up another rod sometime.
Mike Barber
CuriousLayman

Postby craigthor » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:12 pm

I like the Ebisu myself.
craigthor

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods