The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Comparing the Ebisu to the Ito

Discussion on tenkara rods

Comparing the Ebisu to the Ito

Postby craigthor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:24 am

I know they aren't the same length but the Ebisu is a 5:5 and the Ito is a soft 6:4. Looking for something a little shorter for some of the really narrow spots even at 13' it can seem a bit long let alone 14'7". Also at the full 14' 7" it does have an ackward feel to it so I'm not totally sure if it is the best rod for me and may consider swapping for a couple of the Ebisus'.

Thoughts and opinions?

Craig
craigthor

Re: Comparing the Ebisu to the Ito

Postby craigthor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:00 pm

And if someone has both and can give a side by side comparison would be great.
craigthor

Postby chorpie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:08 pm

you could probably email Chris @ his TenkaraBum site and ask him.
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby Nagasaurus » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Good timing on your question...an Ito arrived on my doorstep today and I also have an Ebisu (which was my first Tenkara rod). I hope to be on the water in a couple of days so will bring both with me to compare.

Since you mention a "couple of Ebisus" another option would be to swap your Ito for an Ebisu paired with an 11' Iwana. The Iwana is slightly stiffer and gives you the flexibility to have an even shorter rod if needed and also handles a heavier line better.

The unique wood handle on the Ebisu is also very different from the longer, cork handles on the other models. I like the wood handle myself it is not for everyone so keep that in mind.
Nagasaurus

Postby craigthor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Nagasaurus wrote:Good timing on your question...an Ito arrived on my doorstep today and I also have an Ebisu (which was my first Tenkara rod). I hope to be on the water in a couple of days so will bring both with me to compare.

Since you mention a "couple of Ebisus" another option would be to swap your Ito for an Ebisu paired with an 11' Iwana. The Iwana is slightly stiffer and gives you the flexibility to have an even shorter rod if needed and also handles a heavier line better.

The unique wood handle on the Ebisu is also very different from the longer, cork handles on the other models. I like the wood handle myself it is not for everyone so keep that in mind.

Thanks, what are your pros/ cons of the Ebisu in your opinion? I just got back after hitting another stretch of water and really think the 5:5 being softer and only 12' would be really beneficial in most of the streams I will be fishing. Being the close one is 15 minutes from home on a huge nature preserve. The stream runs from 10' wide flats into 2-3 foot wide 3' deep troughs with lots of meandering and tight corners. With the Ito at 14' 7" I had great reach but with all the tight corners trying to set myself up for decent drifts was nearly impossible, and the rod felt really tip heavy. At 13' it casts nice but feel I am missing out on what the rod is really meant to accomplish if that makes any sense. Rarely would I be into 12+" fish with the super rare 16" er or bigger. Also have the super soft rod should make for nice supple casts in the tight corners I was in today.

Only reason for thinking several is one for me, one for the wife and one for the kid even though he needs to grow a touch more before he uses it. LOL

Craig
craigthor

Postby Nagasaurus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:35 am

I don't really see any "cons" with the Ebisu--it will either match your style of fishing or it won't. If I had to be pinned down I would say IMO that since the Ebisu likes a lighter line you'll be a bit more affected by wind.

Sounds like you already decided to go for it and I think you'll be very pleased.
Nagasaurus

Postby craigthor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Nagasaurus wrote:I don't really see any "cons" with the Ebisu--it will either match your style of fishing or it won't. If I had to be pinned down I would say IMO that since the Ebisu likes a lighter line you'll be a bit more affected by wind.

Sounds like you already decided to go for it and I think you'll be very pleased.

Got my Ebisu and loving it just curious if you finished the handle at all or left it bare wood?
craigthor

Postby Tenkara Guides » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:56 pm

Leave the handle as is, the surface grain will absorb a small amount of water and the grain swells just enough to increase the traction of the grip. I have seen some that have been lightly wood stained and they look pretty nice. I would personally avoid sealers like polyurethane, the wood is naturally water resistant and getting it wet will not hurt it at all.

The older and dirtier my Ebisu handle gets, the more I like it. It has character.

John
Tenkara Guides

Postby craigthor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Tenkara Guides wrote:Leave the handle as is, the surface grain will absorb a small amount of water and the grain swells just enough to increase the traction of the grip. I have seen some that have been lightly wood stained and they look pretty nice. I would personally avoid sealers like polyurethane, the wood is naturally water resistant and getting it wet will not hurt it at all.

The older and dirtier my Ebisu handle gets, the more I like it. It has character.

John

Thanks, figured it was best to ask as I was sure there was a reason it wasn't finished.

Craig
craigthor

Return to Tenkara Rods