The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Just received my first TUSA rod - 12' Iwana

Discussion on tenkara rods

Just received my first TUSA rod - 12' Iwana

Postby MadBadger » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:24 am

Tried to post this yesterday, but must not have submitted correctly. Just received my first Tenkara rod, the 12' Iwana. Preaching to the choir, but I loved that it came in a classy rod tube and inside that the rod is in a heavy felt fabric sleave with a velcro end flap to hold it in. I was impressed with the nice balance between keeping weight down (for travel or backpacking) and using quality materials. The rod itself is sharp looking.

I had a small worry when I extended the rod for the first time and did not see the Lillian. It had slid back into the last rod piece. So I decided to take the bottom end cap off and remove the last two rod tip pieces and take the last piece with the Lillian attached out of the second to last piece, straighten out the Lillian and reinsert into the second to last piece. When I then tried to extend the rod again - presto ... there was the Lillian. :D

One other small surprise. Not sure if its a typo or not. From the rod selection chart on the website, I choose the Iwana because it was said that it's especially good for smaller streams and creeks. However, on the instruction sheet that came wrapped around the rod tube (About Tenkara, About this rod, Warranty, Maintenance, Instructions, Casting, etc), the About this rod section says, This is our "Large fish/Large River rod". I thought the Amago was described as big fish/big rivers?

Not sure what to expect now. Taking it out for a spin this weekend. Heading over to the local spring creek to tempt some Browns. I'll try to provide a trip report post trip. Should be interesting. I've been out 3 or 4 times this summer in late afternoon or evening, with traditional western gear with little success. Lots of trouble with the currents and line management. We'll see if this is a little easier. I'm a fairly inexperience fly fisherman.
Sato, 12' Iwana & 13'6" Amago
MadBadger

Re: Just received my first TUSA rod - 12' Iwana

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:41 am

Just a typo about it being big fish rod.

Enjoy the Iwana.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby CuriousLayman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Yeah, for some reason they put the text for the Amago with the Iwana. I noticed the same thing when I bought a new rod for my dad. I have a couple mislabeled handles too. That's certainly one area where TUSA needs to improve. But you'll love the Iwana I'm sure.
Mike Barber
CuriousLayman

Postby MadBadger » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm

I figured as much. I'm anxious to get out and use it. I'll provide a trip report to let you know how it goes.
MadBadger

Postby MadBadger » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:07 am

I've noticed on my new Iwana that it's suggested that you tie a knot in the Lillian and leave a 1/8" tag at the end beyond the knot. My rod came with a knot already in the Lillian at the very end. No tag beyond the knot. Will this be a problem in anyway?
MadBadger

Postby CuriousLayman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:35 am

No problem. You just want a knot there to keep the line from slipping off if it was slightly loose. The tag (or lack) would not affect anything.
Mike Barber
CuriousLayman

Postby MadBadger » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:04 am

Glad to hear that. Thank you.
MadBadger

Postby WildTigerTrout » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Enjoy your new Tenkara rod. I have the same model and it's really ALOT of fun to fish with.
Iwana 12 ft. 6-4 Series II
Yamame 12 ft. 7-3
Ito 13 ft. /14 ft. 7 in. 6-4
Rhodo 8 ft. 10 in. /9 ft. 9 in. /10 ft. 6 in.
WildTigerTrout

Return to Tenkara Rods