The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Yamame models available - 6:4

Discussion on tenkara rods

Yamame models available - 6:4

Postby William Anderson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 am

Hi, I'm new to tenkara culture, had my first outing yesterday and have a quick question. A rod was gifted to me and I had the pleasure of fishing it for the first time yesterday. It's marked as a 12' Yamame 6:4. My friend was fishing a 12' Iwana 6:4 and the graphics and finish were identical, other than the but cap having a different look about it. I'm not very familiar with these rods and didn't think anything of it until I went to look it up and found that a 6:4 Yamame isn't available.

Is there something inherently stiffer in the construction of the Yamame rods, or because it is marked a 6:4, should I assume it would cast similarly to the Iwana? I'm wondering if maybe there was a previous release of the Yamame rods as a 6:4, or is this something that is well known?

Very curious, and quite happy with the rod. Moving forward, I'm wondering also if I should have been casting a heavier line. Not having any other tenkara rod casting experience, I just don't have anything to compare it to.

BTW, I have enjoyed reading the forum and hope to make the Tenkara culture a big part of my own fly-fishing experience.

w
William Anderson

Re: Yamame models available - 6:4

Postby statikpunk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 am

the yammame has more "backbone" than the Iwana. the way the sysytem works is, that no matter how long the rod is, if you split it into 10 sections its measured from the butt and its stiff sections vs bend so a 6:4 would be six stiff sections and 4 bending, but that would make for a totally different rod depending on wether you have a 15 foot rod or a 9 foot rod so even though their bend ratio is the same they will feel different because there is more material involved.

to answer your question, as I recall some time ago the yammame was reclassified to a 7:3 even though the rod remained unchanged. so you probably will feel some difference between the Iwana and the yammame. I may be wrong on all this, but Im pretty sure thats what happened.
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby William Anderson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks so much, I thoughtthat was a massive misprint. More likely a change in the actual model. I would have guessed the 15 lb flouro line was a little light, buy I was turning over loops with tiny emerges to very selective browns on calm water, it must have not been too far off. Not the best use for the rod, but it was fun. Next time I'll have to take it hiking up some mountain stream for some pocket water and plunge pools. I like the rod. Sounds like my next should be something with a little less backbone.

If a rod can be beefy and be marked as a6:4, and another more delicate version also a6:4 by the configuration you've described, are rods ever marked with their actual casting characteristics aside from just flexing characteristics?
William Anderson

Postby Paul Arnold » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:34 am

I may well be wrong about this, but I have a vague recollection that one run of some Tenkara USA rod was wrongly labeled (such as 6:4 instead of 7.3) by the manufacturer. I would guess that the design of the current Yamame, a 7:3, has not changed its through the years, so my further guess would be that the rod you have is one of the few mislabeled Yamames. If so, you may have a collector's item, like that postage stamp with the upside-down biplane. When Daniel gets back from his labors in Nippon, he will be able to furnish you with a definitive answer.
Paul Arnold

Postby GregM » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:54 am

The first-run Ayu was mislabeled as a 6:4 instead of 5:5.

Don't know about any others.
GregM

Postby tntom » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:24 am

GregM wrote:The first-run Ayu was mislabeled as a 6:4 instead of 5:5.

Don't know about any others.

I think the first run Ayu was 6.4 and the Yamame was miss marked about a year ago.
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby jd_smith » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:06 pm

I could be mistaken but I know of only two runs of TUSA rods that were mislabeled. One was about November of last year when a run of 12' Iwana's were labeled as 7:3 instead of 6:4 and the other was a run of Hane' rods previously sold by Backpacking Light, that were mislabeled as Iwana's.

Are you sure you have your facts right about the labels and lengths of rods?

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby GregM » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:08 am

JD,
I no longer have the Ayu, so I can't be sure of anything. (On a Good day I'm seldom sure of anything.)

And having received some "back channel" communications, I would suggest ignoring my post above.

g.
GregM

Postby William Anderson » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks everyone for the information. I can post a couple pics when I get home, but I've heard from Chris Stewart who was kind enough to give me some background. Apparently the early Yamame was marked as a 6:4 and the Iwana was marked as a 5:5 before they were each reclassified to their current rating. The rod I have is marked 6:4 on the sticker on the tube, the black bag and on the rod, so it would have been quite a misprint. I'll have to get a heavier line and fish it around until I can add a softer rod to my collection. Thanks again, everyone.
William Anderson

Return to Tenkara Rods