The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Second Rod Recommendations

Discussion on tenkara rods

Second Rod Recommendations

Postby eaphilipp » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:58 am

I currently have an Ayu and I really like it. I am thinking about a second rod. Which would be a good second rod.
“A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." - Arnold Gingrich
eaphilipp

Re: Second Rod Recommendations

Postby jayfisher » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm

A lot depends on what kind of fishing you're doing. However, without knowing that, I'll hazard a suggestion: If you have an Ayu now, a stronger nymphing type rod like the Amago might be a good complement to the Ayu.

- Jack
jayfisher

Postby Loften » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Jack is right that it will depend on your type of fishing. You may also want to wait and see what the new 2013 TUSA rods will be and look into them.
Loften

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:59 pm

I like the opposite of what I have when I buy something new so if my current rod is soft, then having a faster rod like the Yamame or beefier rod like the Amago will offer me more fishing options.

If you have no plans for going after larger fish or warm water fish where yanking them from the thick weeds in ponds or something, then I would look at the Ito.

I think the Ito is an awesome rod. Super sensitive in 13' mode for those smaller fish but super fun to cast at 14.5' mode to really cast farther on larger waters and nice for extra leverage landing a bit larger fish.

I have found even when catching a small trout that is putting up a nice fight, opening the Ito to 14.5' mode helps me land the fish quicker so I can get the little one back on his way to play with his buddies.

I find the Ito just a kick butt rod.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby rsetina » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Are you thinking of getting a shorter rod or something like the Amago, same length just, "stiffer". I'd go with a shorter rod if you fish rivers or creeks that need something like the Iwana.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Eddie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:29 am

The Yamame would be a good option. A different action rod will help you diversify your casting techniques. In addition, the stiffer rod can cast a longer and lighter line.
Eddie

Postby tntom » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:59 pm

My first rod was the Ayu my next rod was the Iwana 11. It was a good chose it's shorter and works well for tight water and it works well for nymphing.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby stevenlsmith87 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 am

I would go with the 12ft Iwana for the second rod. You can then always add the handle if you want to make it shorter for tighter water.
My Outdoor Blog
www.thesilentpursuit.com
stevenlsmith87

Postby eaphilipp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:22 am

Thanks for the ideas.
“A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." - Arnold Gingrich
eaphilipp

Return to Tenkara Rods