The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

TUSA rods being used on WI rivers, streams and spring creeks

Discussion on tenkara rods

TUSA rods being used on WI rivers, streams and spring creeks

Postby MadBadger » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:09 pm

I do my Trout fishing all over WI, but do the majority of my time on spring creeks in and around Madison and across Southern WI. I'm looking to get my first TenkaraUSA rod (never tried Tenkara fishing before). Daniel has recommended the 12' Iwana and I really appreciate the recommendation. However, like many others I've seen on this forum, I have hesitations about longer length rods on the narrow spring creeks of this area that are wooded in many areas and surrounded by tall grass and weeds in all others. I also have concerns about fish size, as the browns in spring fed creeks can push and exceed 20".

I realize I'll probably end up with multiple rods in time, but I'll probably want my first rod to cover a lot of different situations and water until I spring for additional rods.

Any other WI/southern MN Tenkara users with any advice?
Sato, 12' Iwana & 13'6" Amago
MadBadger

Re: TUSA rods being used on WI rivers, streams and spring cr

Postby CuriousLayman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:48 pm

The 12' Iwana is the most versatile I think. For where I fish (smoky mountains) the 11' and the Ito cover all the bases. But if you are looking for one rod that can do many things well I think the 12' is the way to go. You'll also find that you as you get used to it you can use a longer rod than you would have thought. Finally, if you go with the 12' you can always buy the other handles later and have the option to fish the rod at 11' or 9.5'.
Mike Barber
CuriousLayman

Postby jayfisher » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:50 am

Madison-UW is where I went to school, spent five years fishing, and remember very fondly. Back then it was mostly spin fishing for bluegill, crappie, bass, and northerns. But my love of fly fishing started seeing a guy in a canoe fly casting among lilly pads in the chain of lakes. It was poetry in motion and it's always stayed with me. There was no tenkara back then, so I'm interested in experiencing [tenkara in Wisconsin] vicariously through your experience. Keep us posted.

- Jack
Last edited by jayfisher on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayfisher

Postby MadBadger » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:29 am

Thanks both of you for your replies. I'm still debating what size Iwana to get for my first rod. With all the tall grass right up to the streams around here. Whether I get the 11', the 12' or get the 12' and the rod shortening handles. I'll probably order the 12' and try that for a while.

I'll try to give some updates once I get it.
MadBadger

Postby 257ROBT » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:14 pm

I have fished my 12' Iwana in WI for a little over 2 years now and it has been a great choice. I have an 11' Iwana that is going to get the short handle makeover. I will use this for many of the streams in central WI that I normally fish. If your worried about large fish, get the Yamame. I have also fished the Iwana in sw WI and I have recently started fishing north of La Crosse.

Dale
257ROBT

Postby jayfisher » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Also remember that in a pinch you can always in effect shorten a rod by either collapshing a section or holding the rod higher up. It's much harder to make a short rod longer. :D

- Jack
jayfisher

Postby MadBadger » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:43 am

257ROBT wrote:I have fished my 12' Iwana in WI for a little over 2 years now and it has been a great choice. I have an 11' Iwana that is going to get the short handle makeover. I will use this for many of the streams in central WI that I normally fish. If your worried about large fish, get the Yamame. I have also fished the Iwana in sw WI and I have recently started fishing north of La Crosse.

Dale

For the narrower spring creeks in SW WI do you use the 12' Iwana or your 11" (with the plan for the shortening handle)? I think the 12' foot rods would work better for covering more of WI waters, not sure which 12 (Iwana or Yamame). Not sure how much to be concerned about bigger trout in streams, creeks and rivers. But I worry the 12" might be too long for the spring creeks around Madison and SW WI. Wish there was someone fishing around here now with experience on the narrower SW creeks. Hard to fish from shore with the tall grass everywhere. Hate to wade because of the non-stealthy factor, but too hard to fish the stream side.
MadBadger

Postby ToddW » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:48 pm

I fish the Rush in WI and the small creeks in SE MN with 12 ft rods as well as the Ito in the more open sections. If you want an all-arounder for the smaller, heavily vegetated streams the 12 ft. is a good choice. You can get the spare handles and shorten it up if needed later. Plus, it will handle the bigger fish as well as the 3 or 4 wt you are using now, i.e. if the brute wants to wrap the tippet around a branch or 5 lbs of weeds it'll do it regardless. When you do get your rod, try a little skating caddis - you will be amazed at the presentation you can get with a 12ft rod and light line.
ToddW

Return to Tenkara Rods