The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

ITO-Colorado fishing and difference in flex between lengths

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: ITO-Colorado fishing and difference in flex between leng

Postby pechelman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:25 am

the ito is a very capable rod and can land a 24" trout
I think you'll just have a bit more authority and control in that battle to more quickly/safely land a fish of that size with the amago.

i suppose if you're interested, you can cast my amago to see how really different it is from the Ito

ive never fished the dream stream.
driving distance is one factor, but for the most part, Id rather use that time driving, and use my legs to get away from the crowds. Plus, from the pictures I've seen, its really not the type of stream I dream about at night. I really prefer a bit more trees and such. Though I suppose you cant arge with the healthy supply of huge trout they have down there.
pechelman

Postby colorado outdoors » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:10 pm

pechelman wrote:the ito is a very capable rod and can land a 24" trout
I think you'll just have a bit more authority and control in that battle to more quickly/safely land a fish of that size with the amago.

i suppose if you're interested, you can cast my amago to see how really different it is from the Ito

ive never fished the dream stream.
driving distance is one factor, but for the most part, Id rather use that time driving, and use my legs to get away from the crowds. Plus, from the pictures I've seen, its really not the type of stream I dream about at night. I really prefer a bit more trees and such. Though I suppose you cant arge with the healthy supply of huge trout they have down there.

I'd be interested in checking out the difference. Sure! I was surprised when I went to the fly shop off Hampden and Gilpin. It seems they shut down. The place is empty now. I went there to compare rod differences since he carried them. Sigh.....

I enjoy going to Rocky Mtn. Park and checking out all the waterways there. I've been eye balling the Big Thompson River up there and a place called "the pool"? Which is heading up towards Fern Lake and the Bear Lake areas. I hear it's a popular place if you don't mind the hike.
ITO
AMAGO
12' IWANA
colorado outdoors

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Have you seen this actually happen?
erik.ostrander

Postby pechelman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:53 pm

colorado outdoors
Id be down for that perhaps. Was out all day today fishing.
Alternatively, I work right near lone tree, so i could bring them to cast after work

erik.ostrander wrote:

no, but ive landed some pretty big fish on mine and didnt feel undergunned with ~18-20" fish.
obviously there's a difference but it feels within the realm of possibility to me.
Though I will say, for whatever reason, I feel like the fish we have here just dont fight very hard on occasion. I think they know that if they just chill out, they'll be released quickly. That one fish im thinking about, shook his head twice, made a half effort to run, and then felt like i was dragging a wet towel through the water. (not foul hooked)

like ive been saying though, its not what id use to specifically target large fish, i just feel like it could be done
pechelman

Postby jd_smith » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:21 pm

erik.ostrander wrote:

Yeah, there's an enormous difference between an 18" fish and a 24" fish. Possibly as much if not more than 2lbs. Lets just assume an 18" fish has a girth of 11" and a 24" fish has a girth of 13". Lets do the math: length x girth x girth divided by 800. Said 18" fish would be 2.72lbs as opposed to said 24" fish at 5.07lbs Huge, huge difference!

JD

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby pechelman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:00 am

No ones disagreeing here I don't think.
Certainly your chances go down very quickly with every inch with a tenkara rod as you approach 20", some more than others, but with the longer Ito length, you effectively have more drag in the sense of more give and take before the rod straightens. How much that helps in comparison to backbone depends on currents and hydro features and if you can chase after the fish as well as fighting techniques.

A couple of people seem to agree with me at least.
http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/?p=2600

Worth noting, they list fish<24" in the chart, but then say fish>20+" in the description
pechelman

Postby jd_smith » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:40 am

I'm not disagreeing, just doing the math to show that there is a big difference in just a few inches of length in a fish.

The largest trout to my hand and released on a tenkara rod was 23" and came in on my 12' Ebisu and 6X tippet. The next biggest to hand and released was 21" with my Amago also with 6X (my standard). Even with the extra length of the Amago, I was more nervous of the tippet breaking with the smaller fish because of the stiffer rod. I have hooked and fought much bigger trout estimated at 26" to 28" on my 12' Iwana, I had the tippet in had just before netting it, a final head shake and by by trophy trout. So just like you've said, with proper skills the rods are capable.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby colorado outdoors » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:47 am

WOW! :D

Leave you guys alone for a day and ya start talkin' math again!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"pechelman" I'd like to take you up on that offer. I work in Lakewood though and am usually free by 6. I'm off Sundays and one day during the week. This coming week it will be Friday and the next weekend will be my 3 day Sun-Mon. Let me know what will work for you. Send me a pm.

Anyone in Colorado own a Yamame I can check out? Jason? I see you're in Parker. I'm just down the road from you.

My ideal situation would be to have both of these rods to check out.
ITO
AMAGO
12' IWANA
colorado outdoors

Postby pechelman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:30 am

JD
Very impressive! Can only imagine what those big hogs felt like on an iwana. Guessing they took you for a little run :) Landing can certainly be tricky....I was handlining in a decent rainbow on saturday, just as i was reaching for him, he shook free the barbless hook. But apparently my netting skills have improved as I was able to get him as he was free in the water. Wasnt sure i had him until i felt the weight in my tamo. Put a pretty good smile on my face. Made me feel like I caught him twice, hah!

colorado outdoors
If you want to try to coordinate something with jason to cast both, I'm game.
Maybe there's a pond nearby we can cast into that has some bass?
Also, I do have this friday off as well. I usually wait till the day or two before to decide on where to go based off weather and stream flow information, but im game for trying to plan something.
pechelman

Postby colorado outdoors » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:30 pm

I've contacted Jason and am going to get a chance to try a few rods.

If you ever want to go on a hike to RMNP and do some fishing too, shoot me a pm. I have a park pass.
ITO
AMAGO
12' IWANA
colorado outdoors

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Rods