The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

ITO-Colorado fishing and difference in flex between lengths

Discussion on tenkara rods

ITO-Colorado fishing and difference in flex between lengths

Postby colorado outdoors » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:56 am

So, I've been thinking about a couple of things lately......

1) What is the difference in flex rating between the two lengths on the ITO?

2) Debating on if I even need a second rod out here in CO.?

I've been doing some serious debating on a good second rod. Specially after a camping trip last summer right along the Arkansas River. That river where I was(Buena Vista), looked to be about 20' wide? I remember seeing some fly guys out and one of them caught an enormous trout (24"+?). Now, I hadn't purchased or even heard of T-USA until after that camping trip. So my first thought then was what rod do I have to handle lunkers like THAT? My Calstar 15-40 ? Hmmmm......that rod I think would be overkill. Not to mention the Penn reel I have for it. LOL.

The first rod that comes to mind would be the Yamame but then if I do end up getting that one how often would I have a chance to get out to those large waters to use it? I assume that type of rod would only serve it's purpose on larger bodies of water like that. Problem being not knowing if there are more rivers THAT large out here is the issue.

My other rod thought is the Amago but I'm wondering if the ITO in the shorter length would be the same thing for the most part.

My last thought(for now) is the Iwana 11' or even the 12' footers. Will a foot difference between the ITO and Iwana make THAT much of a difference???

Now, I know they are all different rods and they all have a 6:4 rating on them. Even the ITO yet, I know the ITO is considered a "soft 6:4" but when shortened it seems a bit stiffer not much though.

I'm hoping some Colorado locals have some input on some of this. If anything, the waterways around here. Being from WA. state and all, the lack of water around here is a killin' me. Sigh.
Last edited by colorado outdoors on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITO
AMAGO
12' IWANA
colorado outdoors

Re: ITO-Colorado fishing and difference in flex between leng

Postby erik.ostrander » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Big fish, big water = Amago
Big fish, smaller water or warm water = Yamame
Smaller fish, big water or smaller water = Ito

That being said, I fish with an Ito on many a brushy stream. The Ito is a small fish rod at any length.

If there's any chance I might catch big fish I use the Amago. Any chance.

Rule of thumb, use the longest rod possible. For example, I went out with a client the other day, and he used a 13' rod the whole day and I used the Ito when most people would have used a 12' or smaller rod. We caught plenty of fish.

Hope this simple reply helps.
erik.ostrander

Postby tsegelke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:24 pm

I just spent the last week fishing with the Iwana, Amago, and the Ito. My opinion is that the longer the rod, even though it has the same 6:4 rating, the softer the feel. I have landed fish up to 20" on all three, but would not recommend doing that regularly on the Iwana (it seemed to stress when the fish ran, and I had to run up and down the creek much more).

The most obvious difference to me was that the length of rod, combined with the strength of backbone, determined the length of line I was able to use.

The worst of either case for me was: when I hooked into too much fish, I had to break off the tippet and bid the all mighty fish a good day.

My 2 cents (although, maybe only worth 1), is to go with the rod that feels best to you. The more comfortable you are with the rod, the more confident you will be to control the drift.

Fish on!

The Math: a shorter rod flexing at 6:4 means, a shorter amount of rod tip bending. The less rod bend gives a stiffer feel, or a "faster", "stiffer" feel.
tsegelke

Postby colorado outdoors » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:25 pm

tsegelke wrote:I just spent the last week fishing with the Iwana, Amago, and the Ito. My opinion is that the longer the rod, even though it has the same 6:4 rating, the softer the feel. I have landed fish up to 20" on all three, but would not recommend doing that regularly on the Iwana (it seemed to stress when the fish ran, and I had to run up and down the creek much more).

The most obvious difference to me was that the length of rod, combined with the strength of backbone, determined the length of line I was able to use.

The worst of either case for me was: when I hooked into too much fish, I had to break off the tippet and bid the all mighty fish a good day.

My 2 cents (although, maybe only worth 1), is to go with the rod that feels best to you. The more comfortable you are with the rod, the more confident you will be to control the drift.

Fish on!

The Math: a shorter rod flexing at 6:4 means, a shorter amount of rod tip bending. The less rod bend gives a stiffer feel, or a "faster", "stiffer" feel.

Thanks for the tip on the 3 rods you tried. Good info!!! Specially on the Iwana!!!! Which one was that? 11' or 12'?

Math? Snoooooore......LOL. :D Kiddin' :ugeek:
ITO
AMAGO
12' IWANA
colorado outdoors

Postby colorado outdoors » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:28 pm

erik.ostrander wrote:Big fish, big water = Amago
Big fish, smaller water or warm water = Yamame
Smaller fish, big water or smaller water = Ito

That being said, I fish with an Ito on many a brushy stream. The Ito is a small fish rod at any length.

If there's any chance I might catch big fish I use the Amago. Any chance.

Rule of thumb, use the longest rod possible. For example, I went out with a client the other day, and he used a 13' rod the whole day and I used the Ito when most people would have used a 12' or smaller rod. We caught plenty of fish.

Hope this simple reply helps.

Nothin' wrong with ANY reply. Simple or otherwise. Thank You.

I would think the Yamame would be best for "big fish,big water". Stiffest of them all so far.
ITO
AMAGO
12' IWANA
colorado outdoors

Postby colorado outdoors » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm surprised no one else responded to this out of all the views it received.

I'm in the market to buy a second rod to compliment the ITO I own.
ITO
AMAGO
12' IWANA
colorado outdoors

Postby pechelman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:04 pm

colorado outdoors wrote:I'm surprised no one else responded to this out of all the views it received.

reading your first post above and being able to relate to some of the larger water / fish we have here in CO, get an amago to compliment your Ito, no question about it.

The yamame might be stiffer, but you will absolutely want the extra length of the amago to avoid currents\keep more line off the water in these bigger rivers. The extra ~18" will also let you fish a longer line and require you to handline in relatively less line. Huge advantages imo.

Conversely, if you're only fishing the Ark in sections that are 20' wide, you will be absolutely amazed at the control you can get with a shorter line and the longer amago.....and you'll still be farther away from the fish than you would be with a yamame setup similarly. (ie more stealthy)
pechelman

Postby colorado outdoors » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 pm

pechelman wrote:
colorado outdoors wrote:I'm surprised no one else responded to this out of all the views it received.

reading your first post above and being able to relate to some of the larger water / fish we have here in CO, get an amago to compliment your Ito, no question about it.

The yamame might be stiffer, but you will absolutely want the extra length of the amago to avoid currents\keep more line off the water in these bigger rivers. The extra ~18" will also let you fish a longer line and require you to handline in relatively less line. Huge advantages imo.

Conversely, if you're only fishing the Ark in sections that are 20' wide, you will be absolutely amazed at the control you can get with a shorter line and the longer amago.....and you'll still be farther away from the fish than you would be with a yamame setup similarly. (ie more stealthy)

Well if I do that then wouldn't the ITO at it's 13' length be the same?????

I'm using the Arkansas as an example since I was there once last summer. I would imagine with more research I could find closer rivers than that around here. Platt etc.
ITO
AMAGO
12' IWANA
colorado outdoors

Postby pechelman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:42 pm

colorado outdoors wrote:Well if I do that then wouldn't the ITO at it's 13' length be the same?????

they are completely night and day rods

one is a slow smooth delicate casting near full flex rod in its 14'7 length. feels 5:5 here imo
in its 13' length its relatively crisp casting for how soft it is in comparison to other rods, definitely a "soft flexing" 6:4

the amago at times feels like a stick in comparison. Guess you could call it a "Stiff 6:4" or whatever. It has a lot of authority and energy in the quicker casting stroke. To me, it feels a bit more precise, just because its a little easier to control end of cast oscillation and it has less of a tendancy to pickup any side movement from a bad\lazy cast since its a stiffer rod.

I dont have trouble casting either to exactly where I want, but I seem to be a little more efficient casting longer lines with the amago. (less arm movement and energy and such)
I will say, it takes me a good ~5 or so casts to get the feel of each rod when i switch between them. They are significantly different....it reminds me a bit of the difference in casting my Sage VPS-Light Medium action 4wt vs my Extra-Fast Action 6wt st croix.

as erik put it, the Ito is a small fish rod and the Amago is a big fish rod
If you're purposefully going after 20-24" trout, me personally, I'd be fishing with the amago (and I do) The Ito is a capable rod handling those size trout, but like I said, if you're specifically targeting these large fish, use the right tool if you can afford to do so. (sounds like you want to)

and assuming this is still kosher, checkout tenkarabum's website in his Ito review
http://www.tenkarabum.com/tenkara-usa-ito.html
As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Scroll down to the 2nd picture

edit: and 10-4 on the Ark
Since we live in the same area, we have the same rivers in proximity that hold these larger trout, namely the S. Platte near Deckers and Cheeseman and 11Mile and the "Dream Stream" and then also the Blue in Dillon and the Colorado & Williams fork near parshall.

At all of those places, the amago would be on point with the Ito on backup, though sometimes I just end up fishing the ito, since its really my favorite to cast.

last point I'll make here, is that at all of these rivers, I wouldnt even remotely consider a 12' yamame or other 12' rod. Its just too short to really get the benefits.
pechelman

Postby colorado outdoors » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:42 pm

pechelman wrote:
colorado outdoors wrote:Well if I do that then wouldn't the ITO at it's 13' length be the same?????

they are completely night and day rods

one is a slow smooth delicate casting near full flex rod in its 14'7 length. feels 5:5 here imo
in its 13' length its relatively crisp casting for how soft it is in comparison to other rods, definitely a "soft flexing" 6:4

the amago at times feels like a stick in comparison. Guess you could call it a "Stiff 6:4" or whatever. It has a lot of authority and energy in the quicker casting stroke. To me, it feels a bit more precise, just because its a little easier to control end of cast oscillation and it has less of a tendancy to pickup any side movement from a bad\lazy cast since its a stiffer rod.

I dont have trouble casting either to exactly where I want, but I seem to be a little more efficient casting longer lines with the amago. (less arm movement and energy and such)
I will say, it takes me a good ~5 or so casts to get the feel of each rod when i switch between them. They are significantly different....it reminds me a bit of the difference in casting my Sage VPS-Light Medium action 4wt vs my Extra-Fast Action 6wt st croix.

as erik put it, the Ito is a small fish rod and the Amago is a big fish rod
If you're purposefully going after 20-24" trout, me personally, I'd be fishing with the amago (and I do) The Ito is a capable rod handling those size trout, but like I said, if you're specifically targeting these large fish, use the right tool if you can afford to do so. (sounds like you want to)

and assuming this is still kosher, checkout tenkarabum's website in his Ito review
http://www.tenkarabum.com/tenkara-usa-ito.html
As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Scroll down to the 2nd picture

edit: and 10-4 on the Ark
Since we live in the same area, we have the same rivers in proximity that hold these larger trout, namely the S. Platte near Deckers and Cheeseman and 11Mile and the "Dream Stream" and then also the Blue in Dillon and the Colorado & Williams fork near parshall.

At all of those places, the amago would be on point with the Ito on backup, though sometimes I just end up fishing the ito, since its really my favorite to cast.

last point I'll make here, is that at all of these rivers, I wouldnt even remotely consider a 12' yamame or other 12' rod. Its just too short to really get the benefits.

I went by the fly shop today to specifically compare the two rods in person and the shop has shut down. Sigh...

Well, ok then. I suppose I will lean towards the Amago.

I mean after the lunker I nabbed on an alpine lake of all places I thought for sure I snapped the rod but since I was too busy trying not to swallow water after my frigid plunge the rod was the least of my worries let alone the fish. LOL. I was impressed the rod(ITO) held up though after I saw the size of that thing.

Thanks for the info/input AND the list!! I have heard of the dream stream but haven't been as of yet. I also hear it can be......how should I say? Cut throat among fisherman? Very competitive.
ITO
AMAGO
12' IWANA
colorado outdoors

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods