The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Beginner needs advice!

Discussion on tenkara rods

Beginner needs advice!

Postby DylanWhitman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Hey everyone. I will be buying a rod very soon but I need to kno what a good rod will be for me. I live in NJ and will be fishing in middium streams. I was thinking about the ayu because I will be fishing for bluegill and small trout. What do you guys suggest?
DylanWhitman

Re: Beginner needs advice!

Postby jd_smith » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Welcome Dylan,

First and foremost, what do you consider a medium stream? Is it 15' wide, 30' wide maybe? Does it have a lot of cover or not much? Medium is relevant to your perception and location. Your quarry is right in line with what tenkara excels at, small to medium size fresh water fish. With that given two rods stand out, I think it really comes down to what your preference in rod action is. Do you like fast and crisp (6:4 action 12' Iwana 2.7oz) or a slower softer blank (5:5 action 13' Ayu 3.6oz)? In my opinion these two rods are the most popular and the core of TUSA rods. You won't go wrong with ether rod choice. If the areas you frequent have less open spaces or are wide open. If cover is an issue the 12' Ebisu (also 5:5) or the 12' Iwana are worth consideration.

For what it's worth to you, the 12' Iwana is my favorite of all the TUSA rods. I find that with it's 12' length it is the most versatile of them all. It has a light balanced feel to it, crisp casting, and has all the power you'll likely need. BTW my usage of "CRISP" has nothing to do with accuracy. Accuracy is all about your ability and what you make off it. I don't want any assumptions from readers that I'm implying one rod is less or more accurate than another. However, if you will be fishing with weighted flies I do feel a faster rod is a much better choice. I am a rogue and do fish weighted flies on occasion, and that is why I prefer the versatility of the 12' Iwana.

If you feel this is of little to no help for you, and you haven't found what your looking for here (there are customer reviews for all of the rods in the market place of this site), another path is to go to Tenkarabum.com where you will find a complete review of all the TUSA rods as well as reviews of several others. I greatly respect the opinion of the Tenkarabum (Chris Stewart) on the subject of tenkara.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby tsegelke » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 pm

Unfortunately, I agree. The real response, needs more details. I call a small stream only 4' wide at an elevation of over 6k. Medium becomes where the rivers start to combine at around 5 to 4k and lager river is below that from 4k to 3k. My suggestion is Iwana for smallest waters, and Ito for the variability of the others. There is an exception for the strength of the Amago, but if you are not expecting a brute, I still prefer the Ito.
tsegelke

Postby DylanWhitman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:12 pm

The stream I fish at are maybe 30 to 40 feet across. So the 2 rod I would think that are good for that is the ayu or the iwana. But I'm still not sure of which one would be better for smaller fish like bluegill and small trout.
DylanWhitman

Postby tsegelke » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:28 pm

The streams and rivers I fish are much smaller than that. I spent this last week fishing creeks from 20' across, to far smaller. For the size you are talking about I would suggest the Ito. I love mine. It has a very smooth feel, has a lot of length to be give the most drift control, and has no problem casting long lines.

I like the Amago and the Iwana too, but the Ito just has something special.

Just my opinion.
tsegelke

Postby DylanWhitman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Yea I don't have the money for that rod and I could have exaguated a lil the river could be 15 to 25
DylanWhitman

Postby jd_smith » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:27 pm

Hey Dylan,

The Ayu and Iwana are well suited for the species and size of fish you're after. They are both designed for the average size mountain trout, and the gills wont be much different. The Iwana is lighter and is a faster action rod than the Ayu, and the Ayu is one foot longer than the Iwana. Between these two rods those are your options. Regarding weight, we're talking only an ounce, it's almost negligible.

The Ito is a nice rod, I will admit that I'm not it's biggest fan. It's a soft 6:4 that some say is similar to the Ayu....but..., following along with the posts here regarding the Ito, it seems that many people fish it at 13' more often than 14'-7". Some have said that it feels unbalanced and unwieldy at 14'-7". Another thing is that many who own it wish it were a faster blank (including myself). Soooo...if people fish it most often at 13', the similar Ayu is 13' and it's cheaper. If people are asking for a faster Ito...The 12' Iwana is faster, lighter and cheaper. Yeah it's a foot shorter but for the range you've stated, it will work just fine. My point is...and I will restate this from my previous post. "You won't go wrong with either rod choice" "I think it really comes down to what your preference in rod action is".

JD
Last edited by jd_smith on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby DylanWhitman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks guy!!
DylanWhitman

Postby DylanWhitman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:27 pm

I made up my mind. I will be getting the 12 foot iwana. I will be buying the Traditional Line for my rod.
DylanWhitman

Postby jayfisher » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:15 am

I made up my mind. I will be getting the 12 foot iwana. I will be buying the Traditional Line for my rod.

Dylan,

Go for it! I think the Iwana 12 is a good choice for the kind of fishing you've described. It's a great all-around rod and I'm a fan of the Iwana and Ayu (and Amago for nymphing). You should have a lot of fun!

- Jack
jayfisher

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods