The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

How Do I Refurbish an Amago Cork Handle?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: How Do I Refurbish an Amago Cork Handle?

Postby GregM » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:36 am

Tom,
I don't have the invoice/spec on the Shrink Tube http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Other-Grips/Flocked-Rubber-Shrink-Tube. When I calculate back from the piece I have it comes out to a 1.27" ID, but the bracketing options are 1.18" and 1.38".

I'm about to order more and it will be the 1.18".

And if you do it, cut the shrink tube about 1" long, leaving 1/2" at each end to "shrink and wrap" around the ends. You can always trim the excess against the winding stop and the butt thread if you need to. On my next round I will also lay in a bread of Permatex windshield caulk, before I shrink, for a watertight seal.

I've fished about 4 hours on it, and so far I like it.
GregM

Postby SamEureka » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:24 pm

That looks pretty freaking cool, Greg!! How does it feel? Flocked material feels a little like velvet, right?

//Sam
><))))°>
SamEureka

Postby GregM » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:36 pm

Sam,
The smooth parts don't feel slimy or slick, even after handling fish. The flocked parts feel more like cork. The "flock" is more of a texture than a "pile" like velvet. There is no "grain" or "stack". Think high gloss paint versus flat paint.

Some of this is simply "mindset". I've fished with the textured handle on the Soyokaze and have liked it. But it came textured. My brain was fine with it. I've put in a couple of hundred days with the Amago's cork handle and my brain is very used to the diameter and the texture. Now I've thrown it a curve ball. Even so, it feels fine. I like it. But I'll give it a week or so just to be sure.

BTW, TenkaraUSA does Not sell replacement handles for the Amago. If you run over it with your truck, or screw it up with a less than stellar modification, you will end up buying a whole new rod. (Warranty is a different issue.)

So be careful out there.

Edit: This started because my cork lost it's filler and is getting pretty rough. Shrink-Grip may be overkill. I may be able to refinish the cork, so I'm being cautious with the "big hammer approach". The goal is a good grip, not just a "good looking" grip.
GregM

Postby SamEureka » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:26 pm

GregM wrote:Some of this is simply "mindset". I've fished with the textured handle on the Soyokaze and have liked it. But it came textured. My brain was fine with it. I've put in a couple of hundred days with the Amago's cork handle and my brain is very used to the diameter and the texture. Now I've thrown it a curve ball. Even so, it feels fine. I like it. But I'll give it a week or so just to be sure.

BTW, TenkaraUSA does Not sell replacement handles for the Amago. If you run over it with your truck, or screw it up with a less than stellar modification, you will end up buying a whole new rod. (Warranty is a different issue.)

So be careful out there.

Edit: This started because my cork lost it's filler and is getting pretty rough. Shrink-Grip may be overkill. I may be able to refinish the cork, so I'm being cautious with the "big hammer approach". The goal is a good grip, not just a "good looking" grip.

Thanks for the tip on the Amago... I'll have to be carful with mine. Speaking of warranty replacement, I just received my replacement Iwana 12' today! I slipped while fighting a fish and broke the handle in half. A little duct tape saved the rest of the day though... Talk about an ugly grip! I should have taken a picture.

I imagine you would get used to the feel of the shrink-grip... but I think I'd grow tired of the look of it. It looks cool but kind of 'gucci' on second glance. Probably be happier just refilling the cork.

Enjoy!
//Sam
><))))°>
SamEureka

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods